There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

Every day I have the opportunity to make a difference

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

The people are great, the technology is complex and interesting and the company is always making changes to make our sites better.

Cons

I think the pay could be more competitive. I'd like to see more more hard-line decisions made about technology. Find the expert in an area and have them give direction. Too often, people are allowed to influence decisions they are not qualified to make.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A great place to learn but it can be a hard road.

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

Many new technologies to focus on.
    Mostly easy to move into new areas within the company to continue expanding your knowledge.
    Market space is fairly deep and will not easily run out of new lessons.
    Very knowledgeable colleagues will bring your competency level up.
    Some of my longest term contacts have originated here.

Cons

Depending on the group your in work hours can very at extreme ends.
    Management seems to be rather disconnected from engineering ranks.
    Strong decisive decisions seem to be lacking at many layers in org. Everyone has a say to point of fault.
    Technical operations is not a business driver in this organization. This leads to many miss steps and frustrations if you are entering this company as in individual contributor lower level manager.

Advice to Management

If I could offer anything to management from my experience at Orbitz it would be to find ways to align operations with business goals and incentivize on this success accordingly. For many individual contributors simply providing an avenue to educate one's self on the details of Orbitz business challenges can help engender a greater sense of loyalty and drive innovation in a more focused and productive manner. As it stands many individual contributors, at least in operations, are focused on optimizing technical processes. This can be worth while in some cases but often misses the bigger picture. As this miss alignment grows the most experienced individuals will feel this disconnect the greatest and seek other opportunities.

2. Great place with great people

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

The people make this place work really well. Very open to innovative ideas and new ways on how to continue to evolve the product.

Cons

There isn't enough fruit that is passed out for snack time. Could stand to change the coffee in espresso machines.

Advice to Management

maybe it's time to review the performance review process and look at an easier way to rate people and provide feedback.