Orbitz Worldwide

www.orbitz.com
  www.orbitz.com
There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

Finally, a few reviews with the truth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good location, casual work environment, zero accountability means that you don't need to stress about actually meeting a deadline because it will definitely be pushed back.

Cons

The recent reviews "Promises, Promises" and “Lots of smart people but the leadership team is too detached to actually see the huge foundational problems around them” are both extremely accurate. It strikes me as very ironic that Orbitz recruits smart people and then thinks it can lie to them about how great things are within the company. Smart people can see when half their team leaves to take new jobs in a matter of a few months. They can see when two top level execs: the CFO (who was there less than 2 years) and President of Partner Services resign in the same week. They can see when Orbitz isn’t turning a profit quarter after quarter and year after year. And, they can see when bonuses are not paid out and raises are a pittance. I think that Orbitz bragging to employees about its AMAZING Glassdoor report card has actually prompted some employees and former employees to write accurate reviews about the way things really are. Attempting to pull the wool over employees’ eyes isn’t working—it’s making smart employees angry.

And as a side note, the company does actively ask HR as well as the entire company to give it positive reviews on Glassdoor.

The board needs take a look at the hard numbers: turnover, earnings and stock price. Then proceed to get rid of the management that has been at the helm for all of it.

387 Other Employee Reviews for Orbitz Worldwide (View Most Recent)

Every day I have the opportunity to make a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

The people are great, the technology is complex and interesting and the company is always making changes to make our sites better.

Cons

I think the pay could be more competitive. I'd like to see more more hard-line decisions made about technology. Find the expert in an area and have them give direction. Too often, people are allowed to influence decisions they are not qualified to make.

A great place to learn but it can be a hard road.

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

Many new technologies to focus on.
    Mostly easy to move into new areas within the company to continue expanding your knowledge.
    Market space is fairly deep and will not easily run out of new lessons.
    Very knowledgeable colleagues will bring your competency level up.
    Some of my longest term contacts have originated here.

Cons

Depending on the group your in work hours can very at extreme ends.
    Management seems to be rather disconnected from engineering ranks.
    Strong decisive decisions seem to be lacking at many layers in org. Everyone has a say to point of fault.
    Technical operations is not a business driver in this organization. This leads to many miss steps and frustrations if you are entering this company as in individual contributor lower level manager.

If I could offer anything to management from my experience at Orbitz it would be to find ways to align operations with business goals and incentivize on this success accordingly. For many individual contributors simply providing an avenue to educate one's self on the details of Orbitz business challenges can help engender a greater sense of loyalty and drive innovation in a more focused and productive manner. As it stands many individual contributors, at least in operations, are focused on optimizing technical processes. This can be worth while in some cases but often misses the bigger picture. As this miss alignment grows the most experienced individuals will feel this disconnect the greatest and seek other opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide