Orbitz Worldwide

www.orbitz.com

New Employee Review

Current Employee - Human Resources Technology Business Partner  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Human Resources Technology Business Partner in Chicago, IL

Pros

I am a new employee (2 months) at Orbitz Worldwide I am confident that I made the right decision to accept the position here. Orbitz makes an honest effort to foster a culture where high performers and intelluctually curious people can shine. Free thinking and a respectfully challenging the status quo and offering up new ideas is welcome.

Cons

I have not encountered any "cons" at this point.

Although we have $750MM in revenue (which feels like a large company dollarwise), we still have a small friendly and laid back dot com feel to the culture. Please don't change that!

Other reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

Lots of smart people but the leadership team is too detached to actually see the huge foundational problems around them

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I worked with a lot of smart people who helped me grow my knowledge and expertise to parlay into a new opportunity outside of the company. The laid back atmosphere was nice but also a symptom of zero accountability anywhere in the organization. The office is located in a good spot for running errands during work hours (was always able to go to the post office or stop at CVS if I needed something). Decent opportunity to move up in the organization because people are always leaving, creating positions for others to move into.

Cons

Huge amount of turnover ends up leaving large gaps in knowledge, which are then filled in by numerous silos because the replacements don't have the knowledge of how everything fits together. A constant problem is the competing systems and priorities to the point where nothing ever gets done because all of the time is spent actually prioritizing and re-prioritizing when things inevitably fall off the divinely inspired "Roadmap". (which has yielded exactly how much incremental revenue over the past 3-4 years?)

The people who have made the decisions that have caused the company to lose market share and revenue are still responsible for making those same decisions, which is why the stock price has crashed while competitors are soaring.

Compensation is pathetic and it is not hard to see where the money that could be allocated to merit increases and bonuses is being wasted on, ahem $80K xmas party, a couple of $50K all hands, not to mention the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) being treated like royalty and having catered lunch every day while the actual worker bees who get the job done hope to afford something decent from the food court downstairs on the pittance that they are paid. Seeing the money just pissed down the drain on the SLT jetting around the world makes it all that much harder to see the bonus pool shrink and shrink each year.

People are not just cogs that can be replaced and that fact has proven itself over and over as good talent leaves and the company continues on its slow march to irrelevance or being bought out.

Get your heads out of the sand and quit trying to paper over all of the issues with more happy hours and chotchkies. The company has openings for over 10% of its positions at the Chicago HQ. This is not due to growth or new opportunities. This is due to attrition and trying to backfill for the people who left. This is not just an isolated case. This is due to fundamental issues with the way the company is run from the CEO to the SLT on down.

Basically, they say jump and you say how high but while you're jumping, you better look out because that foundation is built on sand and something else will have slipped away and broken by the time you have finished jumping for the SLT's enjoyment. Get over yourself and out of your endless meetings to actually talk to people who make the business run because they probably have some great ideas that you didn't think of in your little bubble.

Good people and a lot of freedom

Former Employee - Senior Account Development Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Development Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Can work from home at least once a week
    -If you're hard-working, you have the freedom to work as you'd like without a lot of oversight
    -Great benefits including gym membership
    -Great location
    -Great, fun co-workers
    -When I was there, the avg. age was around 27, so young workforce

Cons

-Lots of work; sometimes work/life balance was not balanced

All the management that was there when I was there is no longer there.

There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide.

Worked for Orbitz Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!