Great place to start working in retail

Current Employee - Cashier Orchard Supply  in  Salinas, CA
Current Employee - Cashier Orchard Supply in Salinas, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people and good hours

Cons

pay,can get written up so easily

Other Reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware

Only for the retired.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The other employees are really friendly and generally provide a good time while at work, while at the same time maintaining professionalism.

The department leads are knowledgeable and hardworking. They also are very personable, glad to help help when there is an issue either over the radio or in person when they can get there.

The customers are usually very knowledgeable, and I have learned a lot from them. Many are more than willing to educate new employees and they enjoy conversations with the leads, since many of them are/were contractors and/or handymen.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage unless you know someone in the corporate office, then you can get more. The raises are like bad jokes; 10 cents if they even decide to offer raises. They've not offered raises in four of the six years I've worked with them, when when they did they were like a slap in the face for the type of work expected.

Some stores are terribly disorganized and mismanaged. I have worked at several, and the current one is rather bad. If the management isn't with it, the store will collapse unless supported by the rest of the staff, and we have been barely holding it together. There is also a severe lack of consistency between the three managers; a number of times one has put up a display just to have another take it down the very next morning. The lack of communication is pathetic, to put it bluntly.

There is absolutely no training. They have training booklets, but those are riddled with errors and omissions and equate to little more than toilet paper in my opinion. They are so bad that at some stores they have handed new hires How To guides off the shelves and told them to read them on the floor. And trust me, they are a better resource than what the company can provide. Other than that, you have to do research on your own sweet time. Not what you want to do for minimum wage.

The expectations of the customers are outrageous. They expect us all to be experts, partially because the company radio ads advise customers to speak with the experts in store. There are some experts, mostly department leads. Everyone else is just another set of hands for management's direction.

Orchard has decided to implement skeleton crews company wide. In every store I've worked at, there have been skeleton crews. Often the departments vacated first each night are the most specialized; electrical/plumbing and nursery. The company, last I heard at my first store, decided not to fill the department lead position for the electrical/plumbing departments. No lead means no expert.

Increase the wages, or at the very least have it structured better; cashiers and CSR can earn minimum, but the folks on the floor deserve much more for the job they are expected to perform. Increase the raises as well; I know Hardware isn't the most profitable area in retail, but the current raises are both ridiculous and insulting.

Find a style of management that works and encourage managers on all levels to follow them. Increase the level of communication at the store level. It will improve efficiency significantly.

Invest in some real training procedures. The toilet paper provided now is a joke and makes the company look bad. Some folks may enjoy the opportunity to learn a new area from the ground up, but most people are not, especially for minimum wage. Find a way to encourage learning if you won't/can't improve the wages.

Reevaluate the policy of skeleton crews. This may work for some areas of retail, but I can tell you from experience that in the hardware area it does not work. This area is far too specialized for that. If you want to use skeleton crews, either provide adequate, mandatory training in all departments or go into another area of retail where such crews are more appropriate.

Enjoyable experience and friendly employees

Former Employee - Cashier Orchard Supply  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier Orchard Supply in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly employees and positive work environment. Management is helpful and contribute to the well-being of the company. Great company and enjoyed working with them.

Cons

I didn't work at Orchard Supply long enough to find a significant downside of working there.

There are newer employer reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware.

Worked for Orchard Supply Hardware? Contribute to the Community!