There are newer employer reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware

It's like the patients are running the asylum

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

At this point I can't think of any.

Cons

One of the big ones right now is the club Orchard program that they have going. They threaten our jobs if we don't sign up a certain percentage daily and they don't care that the customers are upset with being pressured by us to join. I don't see how this is legal and will be asking the labor board and other authorities about this.

Choke on that chicken!

92 Other Employee Reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware (View Most Recent)

Good people, bad management

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time

Pros

Get to work with fun people, flexible schedule

Cons

Management is manipulative and unprofessional

Spend more time training associates and dedicate more time and energy to the customers instead of worrying so much about busywork.

Only for the desperate, prepare to feel awful...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  La Crescenta, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Crescenta, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

- fairly flexible hours available
    - not too picky about who they hire

Cons

- low wages
    - insulting raises (five cents? Ten cents? Ouch!)
    - overly stressful
    - unbalanced enforcement of dress code policies
    - not enough training provided
    - elitist condescending managers
    - passive aggressive notes taped up in breakroom by manager instead of talking to staff or having meetings about the issues at hand

Stop pushing your employees to rack up Club Orchard enrollments. Not every customer wants to join and countless times, even folks who ARE members ask to not use their number at checkout in order to save time.

Stop being so strict on dress code (or at least enforce it fairly/stop playing favorites) I can guarantee you that customers would rather deal with a pierced and tattooed employee who is friendly and can help than a more conservative dressed employee who is cranky and openly shows their annoyance at being asked to help.

Also, stop acting surprised when workers start getting burnt out or slow down their work and don't remain chipper. Nobody is going to take pride in their store or be excited to come in each day when they are forced to conform to your ridiculous standards/hide their individuality only to be paid meager wages, given low hours each week and get treated like they are unappreciated and disposable.

You want workers to take pride in their work and stores? Go back to your original store format from the early days. Worker owned/cooperative company. Everyone owns a share, burden is balanced, everyone works harder and fights for their workplace. No rich CEOs living carefree while workers can't even afford housing (and in some cases, sufficient food). Depressing.

There are newer employer reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware

Worked for Orchard Supply Hardware? Contribute to the Community!