There are newer employer reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware

Can be better.

Current Employee - Cashier in Woodland, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Flexible hours and understanding of emergencies.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work that they expect you to do.

Stop pushing club orchard sign ups. Members of this program believe it is a waste of time, and those that are not members get mad at the cashiers for constantly asking to join. There needs to be a better incentive to convince people to join, many customer do not see the point in joining when they get nothing out of it until later in time.

reviews filtered by

Helping People Shouldn't Be So Hard

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at OSH for about 4 years, and was very satisfied with the company during that time. Hard work was rewarded with promotions and raises, creating a good work environment where most employees were striving to be better. There was a Department Lead position and Full Timer position for every department, which meant more opportunity for employees to gain this positions if another left. I decided to join the military, and after my enlistment was up came back to OSH to help pay for school. I was looking forward to helping people again. After more than a year back at OSH, I can still say that I enjoy working with our customers and the assortment of oddball, fun coworkers that OSH has always seemed to attract.

Cons

Unfortunately, other things have changed. Hard work is no longer rewarded, and those people who work hard end up carrying everyone else. Promotions are given to those who make the most noise, not those who perform their duties with proficiency and diligence.
    Of our three store managers, only one pitches in to help on a regular basis, and he's also the only one who will actually listen if we have a concern and try to act on it. This 1 of 3 ratio is indicative of the store as a whole, and those who aren't performing aren't being disciplined or let go.
    Key Carriers, Department Leads, and Full Timers are overwhelmed, and have been for some time. Leads are in charge of multiple departments at a time, sometimes with no Full Timers to aid them. With so few Full Time positions in the store, there is very little hope for Part Time employees to be promoted.
    One person covering half the store is not enough to adequately aid our customers, and those customers are starting to walk out on a regular basis because of it. Everyone is spread too thin, unhappy, struggling in our own lives, and the customers can tell. Between recent company changes and this complete disappearance of morale, our customers aren't coming in as much or spending as much money. This, of course, has led to a huge cut in hours, which is only making things worse.
    Club Orchard has become an annoyance for most customers, and our cashiers are being unfairly judged by how many people they sign up a day or week. Most customers automatically say "No", and don't want to be bullied into it at the register. Many of our customers are in the middle of a project where they can't waste time, and don't want to wait either to sign up themselves or for someone in front of them to sign up. When our customers reach the register they are ready to pay and leave.

Any corporate or store manager making over 40000 a year should cut their salary off at that point, and inject that into small raises and more hours across the board for their employees on the floor. With happier employees and full coverage we could get back to what we do best, helping our customers and making them happy, so that they come back for more.
    We need a better way to sign our customers for Club Orchard, perhaps via the website or some kind of kiosk at the front of the store.
    Hard work needs to be rewarded, and employees need something to strive for. With more full time and department lead positions in the store, there is a better chance of openings at any given time. This would give employees a better reason to always perform.

Minimum wage gets you what you pay for.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time

Pros

Not much to say here. It's a job. During the summer months they used to give plenty of hours. Very little secondary expectations if you're the type that's afraid of a little work.

Cons

Minimum wage. Worst corporate morale I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Absolutely zero opportunity for advancement. They'll try to work you over if you're not familiar with employment laws.

You baked your cake and now you get to eat it. It's unfortunate that you couldn't see the error of your ways until it was too late.

There are newer employer reviews for Orchard Supply Hardware