Oregon Department of Transportation

www.oregon.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Oregon Department of Transportation

State Employment Changing

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

Great benefits package: generous vacation, sick and personal time; Employer-Paid health benefits with nominal employee contribution. Number of on-site training options to keep employees current.

Cons

The budget has led to continued down-sizing across agencies.
There have been no raises in at least three years and mandatory furlough days result in a reduction in overall salary.

Employees deserve to know when changes that directly impact their job function are being considered. Subject Matter Experts should be included in the decision making process to make sure the desired changes are practical and realistic.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Oregon Department of Transportation (View Most Recent)

Diversity is for sucker!!!

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

-Work life balance
    -Challenge of assignment
    - Freedom to express yourselves (wearing whatever you like to work)
    - Great boss

Cons

98% of people working in my department were white approaching the retirement age
    These people seem to have a very limited view about minority and it showed.
    Rumors going around were that some of us (minority) got the jobs because of affirmative action and such. It's 2010 and we still have to "put up or shut up". Go figure!

Management don't have to give any special treatments to the non-white population. However, more works have to be done to bring some of the folks here to the 21st century.

Lots of bureaucracy, but that's what you get with a state job. Kept me busy and pay was fair.

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation part-time

Pros

The other employees were great to work with. Some were life-long state employees, but others really wanted to move things forward.

Cons

Bureaucracy - plane and simple. If you want to grow in your career and gain more responsibility, look in the private sector.

There are newer employer reviews for Oregon Department of Transportation