Oregon Department of Transportation

www.oregon.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Oregon Department of Transportation

Diversity is for sucker!!!

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

-Work life balance
-Challenge of assignment
- Freedom to express yourselves (wearing whatever you like to work)
- Great boss

Cons

98% of people working in my department were white approaching the retirement age
These people seem to have a very limited view about minority and it showed.
Rumors going around were that some of us (minority) got the jobs because of affirmative action and such. It's 2010 and we still have to "put up or shut up". Go figure!

Management don't have to give any special treatments to the non-white population. However, more works have to be done to bring some of the folks here to the 21st century.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Oregon Department of Transportation (View Most Recent)

Lots of bureaucracy, but that's what you get with a state job. Kept me busy and pay was fair.

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation part-time

Pros

The other employees were great to work with. Some were life-long state employees, but others really wanted to move things forward.

Cons

Bureaucracy - plane and simple. If you want to grow in your career and gain more responsibility, look in the private sector.

ODOT stifles drive, ambition, and discourages talented people from staying.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Salem, OR

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

You are guaranteed a step increase every year, unless there is a pay freeze.
    The benefits are decent and work is stable.

Cons

You are guaranteed a step increase every year regardless of how you perform, unless there is a pay freeze. Also, you are required to take furlough days (the more you make the more you take - unless you are management, then you are exempt). So basically, you actually lose money working there when you calculate the pay for parking situation (if you work downtown).

Nothing gets done quickly. Everyone must chime in on every project and give a history lesson on why it didn't work in the past and how things are done now are the most effective way to do it. Change is a bad word. So is accountability and automation.

Management needs to be willing to do the work to get rid of the dead weight to make this agency productive and a place where talented people actually want to work. Quit re-hiring retirees to do the same job they retired from. That's double-dipping. As a tax payer I do not want to pay their pension AND their temp salary. Plan ahead better.
    Stop hiring from within. The ideas are stale and the culture is toxic (good old boys club).

There are newer employer reviews for Oregon Department of Transportation