Organizing for America

There are newer employer reviews for Organizing for America

Best Organization Ever

Current Employee - Field Organizer in Nashua, NH
Current Employee - Field Organizer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Organizing for America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked hard with passionate people. OFA gave us the tools to meet challenging goals. I felt like I was making a difference in peoples' lives. I was able to network well and they encouraged networking.

Cons

No longer exists. We had to work 120 hours a week with 1.5 days off in the last 3 months.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Organizing for America (View Most Recent)

Hard and rewarding work.

Former Employee - Field Organizer
    Former Employee - Field Organizer

I worked at Organizing for America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Given great autonomy to form your own core group of volunteers. This provides you great people with which to work. They provide good benefits, but it is over as soon as you exit their employment. Salary can get you by in your basic life.

Cons

The hours can be grueling. Although, this is generally during the weeks leading up to the election. Management can be awful. They don't take an active role, so they have no way to support you when needed. The organization itself is not central at all. Many different departments working towards the same goal, but in different ways. Non-field employees have not worked in the field, so they've no idea what resources you need. Creates much frustration. Salary. You are told there will be options after the campaign within the administration or they will work hard to find you work, but that is a lie. They use you and leave you to die on the hopeless job market. Remember, campaigns are insane. 3 months from the election, you will not have a day off until a few days after the election.

This is supposed to be a progressive organization. Practice what you preach to the public with your employees. After all, field is what won you the election.

Empowering.

I worked at Organizing for America

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities for learning on the job and training for future positions. The amount of responsibility given to you is remarkable and is a great learning experience.

Cons

Work-life balance is virtually non-existent. On the plus side, your coworkers become your family but otherwise, there is little time to do any personal errands or see anyone you knew before the campaign began.

Leading by example is more appreciated than you could imagine. Make sure the staff keeps their eyes on the prize and that the staffers feel empowered and motivated rather than burnt out. Requiring that someone take an hour break for lunch, for example, would be all people need to recharge their batteries sometimes.

There are newer employer reviews for Organizing for America