There are newer employer reviews for Orvis Company

A reasonably fun job, if you're not doing it for the money

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orvis Company

Pros

--Understanding managers. Each store is small, and the managers have usually worked in sales positions, so they're good about helping you learn the rops and juggle your schedule. --Pretty flexible scheduling. I worked there for about five months and never had a problem finding someone to cover my shift when I needed it. --Terrific employee discount. It's 50%. Trouble is you won't have a lot of money to buy stuff if Orvis is your only job, and the goods are expensive.

Cons

--Weak pay. I made less than $9/hr. That's a tough wage to get by on in Chicago, though perhaps typical for retail. -- The benefits that are out of reach. I was told when I came on that I probably wouldn't opt in. --Not a lot of room for advancement, if you're looking for it. There just aren't a lot of managerial slots, unless you're looking to relocate. --It's tough to get the hours you need. Again, this is nothing new in retail. --It can be a little stuffy. This is Orvis.

Advice to Management

For a small company, it doesn't always feel very small. It'd be nice to hear from management in Manchester directly sometimes.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place If you don't want a career, just a job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Orvis Company

Pros

A somewhat flexible schedule and employee discounts. 90% of the customers were friendly, understanding, and interesting.

Cons

Second level management upward had no respect for the sales staff. When suggestions were made to help with the bottom line, there was no recognition or response. Product gets placed in stores based on whims of main office in Vermont rather than customer requests. Product quality was inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Know and respect your sales force. Some of us have vast business experience that Orvis management is discounting rather than utilizing. There is great inconsistency in their computer systems between retail stores and catalog sales.

2. Great toys, more fun to shop than to be employed at Orvis.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Orvis Company

Pros

Strong brand recognition, customers are friendly. Upper management seemed to be open to communication.

Cons

Poor benefits structure. Perceived barriers when hired externally as management. Work/life balance is not a priority. Products are not a great value, and difficult to feel positive about promoting at times.

Advice to Management

Work on inclusion and on-boarding to be more accepting of new team members. Build a more diverse culture that appreciates and explores differences in business ideology.