Orvis

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people and great discount.

Cons

Very low commission, sometimes over staffed on sales floor.

Other Reviews for Orvis Company

Great place to work if you love the lifestyle. Not supportive of women, though.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunderland, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunderland, VT

I worked at Orvis Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Entrpreneurial spirit still survives there.

Cons

Entrenched management with little opportunity. Owners with passive aggressive leadership and involvement.

A reasonably fun job, if you're not doing it for the money

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orvis Company

Pros

--Understanding managers. Each store is small, and the managers have usually worked in sales positions, so they're good about helping you learn the rops and juggle your schedule.
    --Pretty flexible scheduling. I worked there for about five months and never had a problem finding someone to cover my shift when I needed it.
    --Terrific employee discount. It's 50%. Trouble is you won't have a lot of money to buy stuff if Orvis is your only job, and the goods are expensive.

Cons

--Weak pay. I made less than $9/hr. That's a tough wage to get by on in Chicago, though perhaps typical for retail.
    -- The benefits that are out of reach. I was told when I came on that I probably wouldn't opt in.
    --Not a lot of room for advancement, if you're looking for it. There just aren't a lot of managerial slots, unless you're looking to relocate.
    --It's tough to get the hours you need. Again, this is nothing new in retail.
    --It can be a little stuffy. This is Orvis.

For a small company, it doesn't always feel very small. It'd be nice to hear from management in Manchester directly sometimes.

There are newer employer reviews for Orvis Company.

Worked for Orvis Company? Contribute to the Community!