Otsuka America Pharmaceutical

www.otsuka-us.com
  www.otsuka-us.com
There are newer employer reviews for Otsuka America Pharmaceutical

It was great working for Otsuka.

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Representative in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Otsuka America Pharmaceutical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Listened to employees, great benefits, part of a family. Autonomy. Even though I was laid off over all a very good company to work for. Great product Abilify.

Cons

Last couple of years I was there there was a lot of mismanagement, I didn't even have a district manager two different times for over two years. Massive layoff of upper management and sales personnel

At this point there isn't anything I would say, they were good to me.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Otsuka America Pharmaceutical (View Most Recent)

I liked many of the people I worked with but the company's senior management was very limited

Former Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Otsuka America Pharmaceutical

Pros

This is based on my experience prior to 2009

Generally good people to work with and a Japanese President who was people oriented

Work friendly environment

Cons

Withe new CEO in place during 2008 the environment became toxic. Senior management who were former BMS replaced the existing team and they systematically laid off sales, marketing, corporate head office people.

Great company, misguided management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Otsuka America Pharmaceutical

Pros

If you are lucky enough to get a full-time job here, the benefits are second to none. PTO is exceptional, even from the beginning, and health/dental plans are great.

Cons

Otsuka seems to be having difficulties transitioning to becoming a larger company. They do not want to increase head count at any of their locations, even though the workload (and budget of company) have doubled in recent years. Instead, contractors have been hired to increase head count and replace employees recently laid off, which has had a negative effect on employee morale.

Otsuka is a wonderful company that seems to be going through growing pains. Their biggest issues center around their recent IPO, which has caused senior management to care more about yearly profits than long term financial success. This has caused a reduction of benefits, shrinking of full-time workers, and an increase in the number of contractors.

Overall, the benefits are still very good, middle management is great, and Otsuka is a great company to work for. However, they need to figure out their transition from a small to a mid-size pharmaceutical company.

There are newer employer reviews for Otsuka America Pharmaceutical