There are newer employer reviews for Outback Steakhouse

Great job

Current Employee - Hostess
Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

If you are working with a great team like I have, work can be pretty fun. Everyone know they are there to make money, and, at least at my store, there is the desire to give the good service to make that money. There is also the discount, which knocks 50% of anything you order at your home restaurant, and 25% off at any other Outback or it's affiliates. Outbackers get paid in "tipshare" along with a server's wage, which means every day you'll be walking out with some cash along with having a paycheck twice a month. It's okay money even if it's one of the lowest paying jobs in Outback.

Also, Outback gives you to grow significantly in the company without requiring much in the way of an education. Though this would seem like Outback would be filled with deadhead, high school drop outs, most people who aren't cut out for the job leave pretty quickly. Outback won't hire you as a server right off the bat if you've never worked before but most will let you move from hostess to server if you've worked there a couple of months. I have worked there almost a year and am in training to go into take-away while a girl I started with is about to start her server training.

Cons

It is a very difficult job, especially if you are located in a less than generous area. Customers often forget you're a human being, and unfortunately Outback will bend over backwards to keep a potential customer, even if that means giving out a dozen free meals a night. Also, like I said before, if you aren't cut out for the job, you won't last very long. I was hired with nine other hostess and only two of us are still here, a year later.

I have really enjoyed working for this company and really don't have to much to suggest in order to improve it.

471 Other Employee Reviews for Outback Steakhouse (View Most Recent)

its a great company to work for, especially while in school

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

flexible hours, cash daily, friendly environment, great food and drinks, fun atmosphere, really easy once you pass the menu test.

Cons

holidays are non existent, weekends are gone because thats when you make your money, the holidays on weekends you are there for at least 10 hours on your feet.

just make sure the management team is on the same page, and that they enjoy their position because otherwise that negative attitude is picked up by the staff.

best first job experience

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Outback Steakhouse

Pros

I can't complain too much about this place. I was there 4 years and loved all of them. I left for college and was able to come back for breaks. They're also pretty good if you want to transfer to another Outback or even another OSI restaurant.

Cons

Some people are lazy and should have been fired long, long ago but my manager never liked drama and always saw the good in everyone. It was really fun.

Some managers can be way too uptight and some too friendly. The biggest complaint I had was if I've been working at Outback as the same job (hostess) for 3 years then don't take over the host stand during the holidays--it's not your job and messes us all up.But, really, such an amazing place. Proud to be an Outbacker!!

(PS bring back the colorful shirts!!)

There are newer employer reviews for Outback Steakhouse