There are newer employer reviews for Outbrain

Outbrainers are driven, friendly and transparent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Outbrain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Egos don't really exist here. Everyone can talk to anyone about anything.
- Every position is fluid in its own way--you'll find yourself working with every other department at one point or another
- Outbrain is by far the biggest and highest quality player in content recommendation, so working here is an opportunity to be on the frontier of that area of the industry

Cons

- You might gain weight because of all the snacks and drinks available all day (although a gym membership is part of your benefits package)
- You'll probably be pretty busy all the time

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It's ok but starting to fade

I have been working at Outbrain

Pros

Friendly people with good intent to do well. It does have decent work/life balance, depending on which office you're in. This is because the staff are a bit older and have families. it's a good place to put in your 2 years, use the luster to get experience in advertising tech, then leave for a higher paying company.

Cons

Was fun but now getting competitive with Taboola and other companies jumping in which leads management to panic and jerk. management gives very little support as to what we need to survive in the field including new products, features, tools. I'm at a satellite office where there's even less support from HQ. We're so cheap that we only get headcount when it's 1 year too late and our revenue targets are untenable, thus missing out on our bonus.

Advice to Management

Time to grow up, find ways to streamline processes and get rid of the people that don't add any value

Great product; bad working environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Outbrain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outbrain boasts one of the most exciting products out there in the online space, and as the company is growing rapidly you're working in a fast-moving environment. As it maintains a start-up feel the job can be varied, challenging, and with room to get creative. There's some great people from around the world who are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Outbrain is at war with its competitor Taboola, so it can be a rollercoaster of ups and downs depending on who's winning the battle. Management often knee-jerks to the competitor's movements, and the lambasting and name-calling of them to their advertisers can be very unprofessional. In the race to first prize you see the darker sides of business - that coupled with the long hours can make it a stressful and unpleasant place to work.

Advice to Management

Find the right balance between 'start-up' feel and established business: put in place middle managers who are there to actually manage the team. Currently, old-timers want to keep all the key accounts but give little time to manage, delegate or listen to junior members.