Overstock.com

www.overstock.com
  www.overstock.com
There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Good place to work if you can handle change and working hard

Current Employee - Product Content Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Product Content Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Excellent work life balance. I work two jobs and they worked with me to be able to keep both jobs.
Got compensation when I earned it and voiced what I thought it was worth
I always had work to do to keep me busy.
Leads listened when I had suggestions.
I've moved up to multiple positions because I told them I wanted to.

Cons

Some employees are worried about all the negative and don't make the place fun to work. This fight with wall street seems to be a money pit with employees not seeing what we would gain from winning any lawsuit.

Drop the suit against wall street unless we are guaranteed a victory. Be straight forward with employees on the state of the company and what you are going to do to improve the situation

416 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Great experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Tester in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Good benefits, nice work life balance, great communication.

Cons

Large company, you are a number.

Don't take as many risk as you have been doing.

Very frustrating place to work, they are headed for a crash

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Overstock generally hires smart people that are nice to work with. The location is very nice and composition is on standard with nation and generous for Utah.

Cons

Overstock has been one of the most frustrating places to do software development. I have heard software development at Overstock described as 'Mob Architecture' and cowboy development. You can literally be writing code and have someone else change it the next day and not talk to you at all (but its ok because they talked to Arch). Their biggest code base is their Shopping Site and it is a complete disaster. It is like no one thought at all about where to put code, who should maintain it and most code is placed where ever 'it just works'. When new projects are implemented usually little thought is put in place to design, but just what is quickest.

The Architecture group mainly focuses on writing 'frameworks' that wrap just about every open source project they use (hibernate, jersey etc) in what I consider mostly fluff and unneeded abstractions of the true underlying framework. Overstock has created their own JSP like framework and their own dependency injection framework as well. They don't adhere to many basic pragmatic design choices (such as write once) maintaining many different internal libraries for model code that map the exact same behavior in a different library. Applications sometimes share the same table structure and communicate through database changes. They even have a reporting structure that tells the applications what to do through the database, there is no clear authority when it comes to data management. Communication between architecture and the teams varies quite a bit, depending on which person in Arch your working with (they don't communicate with each other either).

Development teams are organized according to how the Business is organized, which on the surface works. But in reality leaves the development team vulnerable to the creativity of the senior management around the business entity. If you work for a Product Owner that lacks vision get ready for some uninteresting work (just do what X e-commerce site has already done), and potentially left for layoffs when push comes to shove. What the team works on is not collaborative at all. It is more like a hand me down of project work that is approved by senior management and left for the team to be excited about. When it fails that team is gone and the senior management chalks it up to a bad year. This recently happened when Overstock let go of 25% of it Developers and Testers, but not one senior management was affected even though it was widely known of some poor marketing decisions at the senior level brought about the bad year. And this was after they just hired quite a few individuals just 3 months previous!

Overall I would avoid working for Overstock. Senior management doesn't allow for creativity on the team level. Domain ownership on a team level is almost nil. Company is headed for some rough times financially unless they start innovating!

You hired smart individuals, let them find ways to make the company profitable rather than make everything a directive.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com