Exceptional Downhill Slide In Past 2 Years

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Culture
- Close Involvement to Major E-commerce Projects
- Resume Builder
- Work Close with Executives
- Location

This review a few years ago would have been much different. It WAS a very positive place to work, but that was long ago.

Cons

- Senior Management
- Dejected Workforce
- Recent Braindrain
- Wishy Washy Decision Making on Projects Causing Incredible Expense and Dissatisfaction by Those Working Hard Only To See No Fruit From Their Labor
- Lack of Direction

The decisions around company direction and project focus are very scattered. No two executives could tell you similarly what the direction of the company is. Projects are reactionary to what other sites already do, not innovative by any means. An amazing amount of resources and money are put into projects that are not thought through, resulting in complete stoppage of a project only to move on to something similarly thought through.

Prices and quality of merchandise are poor, which is what the company should be working to improve, instead of looking to do everything it can as fast as it can. Instead of focusing on core values and a standard business model, anything and everything are brought to the table and pushed.

The number of people with deep Overstock knowledge combined with industry experience and intelligence leaving Overstock is kind of staggering. I want to say it is due to firings (which have occurred often since mid 2011) but the truth is most are leaving on their own because they see a sinking ship. Confidence among workers is at an all time low. Per their own stated results, the only reason O.co made a profit in Q1 2012 is because overhead/workforce was diminished so severely.

Unless significant change to senior management occurs, I fear this company is not going to survive or will become a shell of its former self. This is an opinion I've heard directly from internal employees including from multiple at the VP level. The board needs to require a change in action instead of letting the chairman and other SVPs run rampant.

Advice to Management

Listen to those that know processes. Slow down and figure out where you want to be as a company in 5 years, 10 years, etc. Stop wasting so much business and development time and money with pet projects that don't fit into an intelligent business plan.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great business opportunity, terrible personal environment.

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Great exposure to large-scale projects.
    Great opportunity to move ahead.
    Great opportunity to make connections in the ecommerce industry.
    Great fun for those not in management, or close to management.
    Excellent measurement and training internally.

Cons

Terrible senior management, excluding a couple stars.
    Political and destructive relationships.
    Bias toward 'yes' men/women.
    Fear used to motivate.
    Very little 'thanks' from VP and above. Reminds one of the birthday cake scene from Office Space--sad, really.

Advice to Management

Too much ego to listen to the advice around you, execs. Too blind to the destructive individuals promoted within. Unfortunate.

Good place to work if you can handle change and working hard

Current Employee - Product Content Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Content Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Excellent work life balance. I work two jobs and they worked with me to be able to keep both jobs.
    Got compensation when I earned it and voiced what I thought it was worth
    I always had work to do to keep me busy.
    Leads listened when I had suggestions.
    I've moved up to multiple positions because I told them I wanted to.

Cons

Some employees are worried about all the negative and don't make the place fun to work. This fight with wall street seems to be a money pit with employees not seeing what we would gain from winning any lawsuit.

Advice to Management

Drop the suit against wall street unless we are guaranteed a victory. Be straight forward with employees on the state of the company and what you are going to do to improve the situation