There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Exceptional Downhill Slide In Past 2 Years

Former Employee - Director  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Culture
- Close Involvement to Major E-commerce Projects
- Resume Builder
- Work Close with Executives
- Location

This review a few years ago would have been much different. It WAS a very positive place to work, but that was long ago.

Cons

- Senior Management
- Dejected Workforce
- Recent Braindrain
- Wishy Washy Decision Making on Projects Causing Incredible Expense and Dissatisfaction by Those Working Hard Only To See No Fruit From Their Labor
- Lack of Direction

The decisions around company direction and project focus are very scattered. No two executives could tell you similarly what the direction of the company is. Projects are reactionary to what other sites already do, not innovative by any means. An amazing amount of resources and money are put into projects that are not thought through, resulting in complete stoppage of a project only to move on to something similarly thought through.

Prices and quality of merchandise are poor, which is what the company should be working to improve, instead of looking to do everything it can as fast as it can. Instead of focusing on core values and a standard business model, anything and everything are brought to the table and pushed.

The number of people with deep Overstock knowledge combined with industry experience and intelligence leaving Overstock is kind of staggering. I want to say it is due to firings (which have occurred often since mid 2011) but the truth is most are leaving on their own because they see a sinking ship. Confidence among workers is at an all time low. Per their own stated results, the only reason O.co made a profit in Q1 2012 is because overhead/workforce was diminished so severely.

Unless significant change to senior management occurs, I fear this company is not going to survive or will become a shell of its former self. This is an opinion I've heard directly from internal employees including from multiple at the VP level. The board needs to require a change in action instead of letting the chairman and other SVPs run rampant.

Listen to those that know processes. Slow down and figure out where you want to be as a company in 5 years, 10 years, etc. Stop wasting so much business and development time and money with pet projects that don't fit into an intelligent business plan.

402 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Great business opportunity, terrible personal environment.

Former Employee - Director  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Great exposure to large-scale projects.
    Great opportunity to move ahead.
    Great opportunity to make connections in the ecommerce industry.
    Great fun for those not in management, or close to management.
    Excellent measurement and training internally.

Cons

Terrible senior management, excluding a couple stars.
    Political and destructive relationships.
    Bias toward 'yes' men/women.
    Fear used to motivate.
    Very little 'thanks' from VP and above. Reminds one of the birthday cake scene from Office Space--sad, really.

Too much ego to listen to the advice around you, execs. Too blind to the destructive individuals promoted within. Unfortunate.

Life was good in IT, but the company may be headed downhill

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

Developers get to spend a fairly large percentage of their time doing development and related tasks. Meetings are minimal if you’re in IT and not a manager. I probably averaged 1-2 meetings a week. Day-to-day life as a developer is pretty good.

Management seems to understand that technology is a key part of the business, and IT is treated well. I experienced little pressure to meet deadlines; when something changed, we either removed some functionality or pushed the deadline back.

Developers do not have on call responsibilities. The Network Operations Center takes care of operational issues and they are the ones who get paged. Occasionally I had to stay up until around midnight for a major deploy my team was involved in, but you can do this from home.

IT management cares about code quality, in particular the codebase for the main website. They also care about keeping somewhat up-to-date on current technologies. Developers and testers can join once-a-week lunchtime reading groups about technology subjects that may or may not be directly related to their everyday jobs.

Most people are smart and reasonably good at what they do.

Nice location near the Wasatch mountains and very close to I-215.

Work/life balance was great. I rarely had to put in any extra time, and when I did I could come in late the next day. Some departments, especially IT, have flexible schedules.

Cons

Upper management seems to have taken a real dive lately. Some of their decisions leave lower-level employees scratching their heads. The most recent example is the “O.co” rebranding. A majority of customers, after seeing a commercial about the new O.co name, tried to go to “o.com” instead of “o.co”. Any person at my level could have told management this would happen, if they had bothered to ask. Lack of confidence in executives has led to a general feeling of instability, culminating in the laying off of about 50 people, most in IT, just last week. The Provo development office was also closed after being open only about a year, and people who were hired expecting to work most of the time out of Provo are now stuck with a long commute.

Financial results have been disappointing the last few quarters. As part of the financial rebalancing that happened at the beginning of the year, most of the employee perks were cut: parking shuttle, holiday party, and conference budget.

Work areas are pretty crowded, and many people don’t have cubicles.

Life is not very good for some development leads. Instead of being a technical leadership position, dev leads really end up spending most of their time managing people, coordinating projects, and going to meetings. For those that would like to stay technical and still spend time every day writing code, this is frustrating.

Stop worrying about whether Wall Street is illegally driving down the price of your shares, and instead focus on getting Overstock back on its feet. Pay your people what they’re worth, or they will find another company who will.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!