Overstock.com
www.overstock.com Salt Lake City, UT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Exceptional Downhill Slide In Past 2 Years

Director (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

Pros- Culture
- Close Involvement to Major E-commerce Projects
- Resume Builder
- Work Close with Executives
- Location

This review a few years ago would have been much different. It WAS a very positive place to work, but that was long ago.

Cons- Senior Management
- Dejected Workforce
- Recent Braindrain
- Wishy Washy Decision Making on Projects Causing Incredible Expense and Dissatisfaction by Those Working Hard Only To See No Fruit From Their Labor
- Lack of Direction

The decisions around company direction and project focus are very scattered. No two executives could tell you similarly what the direction of the company is. Projects are reactionary to what other sites already do, not innovative by any means. An amazing amount of resources and money are put into projects that are not thought through, resulting in complete stoppage of a project only to move on to something similarly thought through.

Prices and quality of merchandise are poor, which is what the company should be working to improve, instead of looking to do everything it can as fast as it can. Instead of focusing on core values and a standard business model, anything and everything are brought to the table and pushed.

The number of people with deep Overstock knowledge combined with industry experience and intelligence leaving Overstock is kind of staggering. I want to say it is due to firings (which have occurred often since mid 2011) but the truth is most are leaving on their own because they see a sinking ship. Confidence among workers is at an all time low. Per their own stated results, the only reason O.co made a profit in Q1 2012 is because overhead/workforce was diminished so severely.

Unless significant change to senior management occurs, I fear this company is not going to survive or will become a shell of its former self. This is an opinion I've heard directly from internal employees including from multiple at the VP level. The board needs to require a change in action instead of letting the chairman and other SVPs run rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those that know processes. Slow down and figure out where you want to be as a company in 5 years, 10 years, etc. Stop wasting so much business and development time and money with pet projects that don't fit into an intelligent business plan.

Great business opportunity, terrible personal environment.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros: Great exposure to large-scale projects. Great opportunity to move ahead. Great opportunity to make connections in the… Cons: Terrible senior management, excluding a couple stars. Political and destructive relationships. Bias toward 'yes' men/women. Fear used to motivate. Very little… Advice to Senior Management: Too much ego to listen to the advice around you, execs.… More

Good place to work if you can handle change and working hard

Product Content Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros: Excellent work life balance. I work two jobs and they worked with me to be able to keep both jobs. Got compensation when I earned it… Cons: Some employees are worried about all the negative and don't make the place fun to work. This fight with… Advice to Senior Management: Drop the suit against wall street unless we are guaranteed a victory. Be straight forward with employees… More
There are newer reviews on Overstock.com.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.