There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

No pay increase for over three years now

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to love my job and could not think of a better place to work. I feel Patrick Byrne is an awesome CEO and appreciate how he tackles even the most controversial issues (inside and outside Overstock.com)

Cons

I have worked at Overstock.com for almost 4 years now. Every year I keep hoping for a cost of living pay increase at least. But, I don't get one and, I am not the only one. I was recently told in my yearly appraisal review, once you hit a certain pay amount in customer service, there will be no more pay increases, no matter how long you work here.

Advice to Management

People need pay increases every year due to the cost of living going up. I know a lot of our awesome employees that have found other work, because they need to make more money. I just wish someone would have told me (4 years ago), that no one will ever make more than $13.00 an hour, as a customer service agent, no matter how long you work at Overstock.com. I feel I have wasted 4 years of my life now that I will never get back.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place to work in terms of life an technology.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work in terms of life an technology.

Cons

Management needs to focus more on futuristic decisions

Advice to Management

Focus on planing more

Exceptional Downhill Slide In Past 2 Years

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Culture
    - Close Involvement to Major E-commerce Projects
    - Resume Builder
    - Work Close with Executives
    - Location

This review a few years ago would have been much different. It WAS a very positive place to work, but that was long ago.

Cons

- Senior Management
    - Dejected Workforce
    - Recent Braindrain
    - Wishy Washy Decision Making on Projects Causing Incredible Expense and Dissatisfaction by Those Working Hard Only To See No Fruit From Their Labor
    - Lack of Direction

The decisions around company direction and project focus are very scattered. No two executives could tell you similarly what the direction of the company is. Projects are reactionary to what other sites already do, not innovative by any means. An amazing amount of resources and money are put into projects that are not thought through, resulting in complete stoppage of a project only to move on to something similarly thought through.

Prices and quality of merchandise are poor, which is what the company should be working to improve, instead of looking to do everything it can as fast as it can. Instead of focusing on core values and a standard business model, anything and everything are brought to the table and pushed.

The number of people with deep Overstock knowledge combined with industry experience and intelligence leaving Overstock is kind of staggering. I want to say it is due to firings (which have occurred often since mid 2011) but the truth is most are leaving on their own because they see a sinking ship. Confidence among workers is at an all time low. Per their own stated results, the only reason O.co made a profit in Q1 2012 is because overhead/workforce was diminished so severely.

Unless significant change to senior management occurs, I fear this company is not going to survive or will become a shell of its former self. This is an opinion I've heard directly from internal employees including from multiple at the VP level. The board needs to require a change in action instead of letting the chairman and other SVPs run rampant.

Advice to Management

Listen to those that know processes. Slow down and figure out where you want to be as a company in 5 years, 10 years, etc. Stop wasting so much business and development time and money with pet projects that don't fit into an intelligent business plan.