Overstock.com

www.overstock.com
  www.overstock.com
There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Improving workplace; lack of roadmap from senior executives

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours; don't really have to work as hard as you might for others in the industry; good people to work with; improving direction from senior executives (i.e., recent lack of non-sensical, herky-jerky, unfounded and disastrous strategic shifts); great place to cut your teeth in certain departments as a springboard to elsewhere; great Customer Service (let's hope so, given how much it costs the company); agile when direction is set and communicated.

Cons

Non-sensical, herky-jerky, unfounded and disastrous strategic shifts from senior executives; virtually no ROI projections done for strategic projects, and certainly no standard office that would consistently perform these estimates; lip service paid to defending company's profitable stores while limited resources are siphoned off to pet projects; pay pegged to geography, rather than to a position for an increasingly transitory e-commerce space; internal tools and systems developed to better train and manage human capital, but are rarely used and miss the most useful goal of training managers.

Form a five-year plan and stick to it, rather than copying what others have already started doing (or cornered).

419 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Good environment. Great People. Opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overstock gives you opportunity to move up within the company. Many new-hires are made from within. Good health benefits.

Cons

Sporadic bonuses and no sick time (vacation time must be used for sick days).

Keep the strong ethical backbone of the company intact, and put better checks/balances on the influence that our Customer Service SVP has on the rest of the organization.

Great people to work with, but bad upper management leadership

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of very smart people in development. Technology is fairly current and fun to work with.

Cons

Upper management make decisions based on whims. Started out with 10 good ideas for the year. Now we are trying to manage 20+. They do not stay on task when it comes to goals.

QUIT!!! We need new management. We need to stick to our decisions and not try to throw the whole kitchen sink when we already failed last year.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com