There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

A company with a good respect for work life balance

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent company culture. The company does not micromanage its employees. Creativity and career growth are enoucraged. Work environment is clean and very serious with maintaining employee safety.

Cons

Most people in the company spend way too much time sitting (and gaining weight). It would be nice to see those desks that can convert between standing and sitting positions become the standard desk.

Although the customer services representatives are recieving wages that match the going market price an increase in salary would not hurt.

401 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Great comapny to work for

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and really good people. They love to promote from within which is a huge plus. They recognize hard workers and punish lazy workers which is ideal for people who come in and work hard everyday. Overstock works hard to make their culture a diverse and accepting one.

Cons

Being a retailer and replying heavily on Black Friday and Cyber Monday means you don’t get much of a thanksgiving break.

Earning my loyalty every day

Current Employee - IT Developer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

To me, atmosphere is everything. Every job in IT is going to come with certain common traits. But the environment that Overstock sets makes it easy to come to work everyday. While Overstock had some rocky times from 2005-2009, things are much better now. The executives are smart and know what it takes to do your job, because it was probably their job before they got promoted. The management team is very conscious of the work/life balance. Their motto is definitely "Work Hard - Play Hard". Have I worked long hours? Of course. However, I've also been told to take extra paid days off to compensate. Overstock understands that you have a life outside the office and that sometimes that takes priority.

Cons

There are not too many negatives about working at Overstock. The execs have worked very hard to filter out anyone that consistently causes "office drama", but some still exists. It's certainly much less than other places I've worked. The biggest "con" is a side-effect of this being a great place to work, i.e. no one wants to leave. Moving up can be difficult because people like where they are. Luckily, Overstock always try to fill positions from within before hiring outside the company.

Overstock does seem to have an obsession with catering every event with Cafe Rio. Now, I love Cafe Rio, but can we get Zupas from time to time? Maybe even Chinese?

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!