There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Decent place to work...

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting technology - the company is willing to invest in cutting edge stuff so you get to play with some really neat ecommerce solutions and tools. Smart coworkers - there are a lot of brilliant people at the company. You will have to weed through a few people just coasting along but most people there are working hard and know what they are doing. Resume builder - its an impressive company to have on your resume if you want to work in IT, ecommerce, software dev, etc.

Cons

Pay - pay was a bit of a joke. I started out at a very low wage, then with a reorg was given a VERY large pay increase (40% or so). It seemed random and wasnt quite enough to keep me but was appreciated. There were MBA grads coming in at <35k a year. Leadership focus - there are (were) some great leaders and they could motivate and bring the team together, however it seemed like there was an overall lack of vision and direction. What vision there was was not always clearly articulated.

400 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Real Review ...

Former Employee - Software Tester  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay - it was quite good for me.
    Location - it is surrounded by beauty and located next to Big Cottonwood canyon.
    Flexibility - They are very understanding if you need time for appointments, family, errands, etc.

Cons

Healthcare - One of the worst I have had.
    Disorganization - it was the most unstructured and disorganized place I have ever worked.
    Hostility - I have never worked some place with so much internal anger, bullying, and competitiveness. This is the reason I left.
    Apathy - No one cared about the success of projects in a genuine and supportive way - but sometimes in a threatening way. No one cares about your happiness there. No one cares to lead.
    Hands tied - I have never worked somewhere with so many barriers and lack of assistance. They expected you to succeed and then don't empower you to do so. You are expected to take initiative and get through those barriers, which is fine and dandy, but then the same barriers exist for everyone on every project and they don't fix them. Other experts that can help you intentionally do not for whatever reason (for me I was told it was because of time constraints and in one case it was just because the person didn't want to because he said he didn't care).
    Negativity - The attitude of the people I worked with was sarcasm, criticism, condescension, elitism, disgust, and apathy.
    Escape Artists - there were quite a few people that dodged work in any way they could and they were not reprimanded. They flew under the radar and honestly did less work in a year than others did in weeks.
    No Leadership - I had four different managers/supervisors/directors in my short time there and they all quit. There was a period of time I had no manager 1 or even 2 levels above me where there were positions open. I had very little direction, guidance, or support. Actually I was never even really sure who I reported to. Where there are leaders higher up (executives), they seemed completely oblivious to how we were using their time and money.
    Fear - Another reason I left was that I felt someone who was a tyrant got into a position of power and people feared even being in the same room as that person because they might get fired if they did anything to displease them. Personally, I had to deal with the fear of getting into yelling, hollering, and threatening situations. Some these were very close to physical. There was lots of cussing, swearing, and physical intimidation (fist pounding, people getting right in your face, throwing things etc.).
    Lack of Structure - I was never really officially on any team. Software development there is very agile, self managed, and fluid. I think being this way is good to a certain extent, but there needs to be good direction, decisions, and some framework of ideas in place in order to achieve some business goal. It is really chaos when large egos with different ideas are constantly battling each other and no leader creates resolution. There really needs to be better structure and flow there when and where self management is failing - but no one ever seems to notice or care.

They created one of the worst experiences in my life for me, and the worst part about it is, even though I brought it up with my coworkers and various superiors, no one ever tried to fix it and they didn't seem to care. I think it is because no one wants to make waves and they don't care - they would rather just quit as all my superiors did. The place needs a major overhaul or to be demolished.
    One other note - I think the company is going to do well financially for a while, but eventually it will explode from the middle out unless they fix the major issues I have listed. I think there is lots of wiggle room for mistakes and they will still make profits, but eventually they will exhaust all the talent in the area no matter how much they pay and then things will dwindle. There is still time to recover I think, but I will never work there again - I would rather be dead than sacrifice my integrity that way. They don't deserve my time after how I was treated and how they treat each other and themselves. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about the waste of potential and money there. Some people might say, why not help to try and fix it, then I consider the fact that I am not immortal and there are other companies that already have much, much better culture, work environment, and employees.

I can't think of a reason why I would recommend this company to anyone for employment, but if you talk with someone else from the company, you might get a completely different response because of the internal disparity. Again - why risk it, go somewhere else in my opinion.

Are you kidding? Pay attention. Control the apathy and people taking advantage of the company. Kill the aggression and hostility if you want to keep employees - but I never got the impression that you cared any way, so I doubt you will listen. Foster a community of cooperation rather than internal competitiveness. Stop being so oblivious to the well being of the teams. You keep losing people, but don't care why and then just dish out more money as if that will make up for things and get more talent. Money doesn't matter at a certain point. If you want to attract and keep people, think about the internal environment and make it a place where people will want to be and feel empowered to succeed. What a mess.

Because Glassdoor doesn't have a box for general comments, I guess I will put them here:
    The company is large enough that if you talk with someone on Team A they love it and someone on Team H they hate it. There are lots of good and bad reviews on Glassdoor and I think that is the reason why. The company is very chaotic and inconsistent. Unless they do something to get involved and understand themselves better, they will wax and wane in the market.
    Personally I looked at the reviews before I stared there and thought well - they are mostly favorable with some nightmarish ones peppered in. Whatever Overstock can dish out, I will handle it and it will make me stronger. I am glad I experienced it so now I have another point of reference data, but I can save you some time and anguish and let you know that if you do happen to land in one of the bad pockets, you will be miserable. But who knows you might get lucky and end up in a good team/department. I suppose you could take a shot and then look for another job if didn't work out.

Great company with some growing pains and a lot of opportunity

Current Employee - Director  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company with small company feel, plenty of opportunity for people who can generate positive results, great people to work with, fun working environment, great work life balance

Cons

Company experiences some growing pains from time to time, PTO policy not very competitive, still figuring out a lot of processes and structure

Communicate a consistent, long-term strategic vision throughout the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!