Overstock.com

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

nice work environment

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Software Developer II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a friendly working environment

Cons

i think we need more entertainment facilities

416 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Run, don't walk from this company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Benefits are not bad. Flexible hours.

Cons

I worked for Overstock.com for 3 years. It was one of the worst ran companies I have seen. Software developers are treated as 2nd tier employees. People in IT are often referred to as 'resources' rather than members of a project. They are told what to implement and there is little to no true collaboration between developers and the 'business side' because of power control. Unfortunately a lot of development teams are OK with this because it allows them to put minimal effort in, arriving at 9:30 and leaving at 4:45.

There is little to no room for advancement in IT. Ask about it.

Communication between teams is near non existent. In fact there exists a certain "if I don't have to tell you I won't" type attitude in near every area of IT. Much of the IT staff is being moved to the Warehouse facilities where the office space is terrible (but they won't show you that during the interview).

Most Developers are given 1 box that is a core2duo machine, yes a core2duo!! Two 26 1080p monitors. I have heard it called sweat shop development, thus the terrible hardware provided. They have a 3 year hardware cycle program, but buy low end stuff to start with.

The new CTO (as of a year ago) came in because he had been 'successful' with out-sourcing at KPMG. He has started the same sourcing to India at Overstock as well. It is not popular, but he continues to push it through.

To summarize, on the surface Overstock seems like a good place to work. But the details show a company that doesn't trust their IT/Development group. Has staff cycling through it in many departments. Overall you will be treated as just a number in the staff. Lastly Amazon is eating Overstock's any potential for growth.

If you want a company to grow, hire the right people and let them do so...

Honest Employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck and Lagoon Day are the only Pro's of this company. I think care week is a crock of crud.

Cons

Management doesnt Care, Attendance doesnt matter, working hard doesnt matter, If you do your job right it doesnt matter nobody here cares who you are. You are just a space filler.

Wake up ! I come into work everyday and never call out and get treated and looked at the same as the people who call out three or four times a week. My attendance and stats are excellent and if you make one little mistake you get chewed out for it when the person next to you calls out three times a week COME ON ! Are you freaking kidding me ! You dont care how hard I work as long as I am there to pick up the phone. Everything that you say you do you dont or you twist words. Nothing is straight and clear. When you chew someone out for something you make it like its the whole companies fault. We had a meeting on attendance and you got mad at everyone. You make OT mandatory when its slow as heck just to show who's in control. But I know that you will read this and not give a flying heck about what I have to say or comment on it and try to make things better. Its the 14th year so there is no change that will happen in working for Overstock.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com