Overstock.com

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Rules Employees with Fear

Former Employee - Associateo Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Associateo Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful scenery
Great coworkers
Can quickly climb the ladder

Cons

- Management Team is atrocious. They rule employees with scare tactics and constant layoffs.

-The CEO is an egomaniac who will quickly toss aside employees who have been with the company for years because he has a bad day.

- the company is not quick enough to change with the market. New projects take a year + to implement and by the time they're up and running management changes direction again.

Stop posting positive reviews to counteract the negative/accurate feedback. Anyone who has worked at this company knows the 4 & 5 star reviews are completely falsified.

419 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

IF YOU CAN FAKE IT, YOU CAN MAKE IT.

I worked at Overstock.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like that you could easily move within the departments to train on other jobs within the company, however this usually has to be done on your down time, which is nice if you are one of those people who like to keep busy. Down side to this, once you are trained you will be expected and asked to help that department, of course you can say no, but that will make you look bad. More often than not people will do it to appease management and management does not compensate you for picking up the slack and extra work of the other department.

This company is great at creating jobs, not great at creating careers.

Not all the worker bees sucked, there were a few good apples.

Hours were good.

Cons

Management is a joke here. Its a very political culture, where if you're not brown nosing your superiors, or gossiping with them you are not part of the pack, and come end of the year when they do cuts you will be left behind . This place does not base its merits on your hard work, but on how popular you are with the "in" crowd. Its very much like high school, your boss will be nice to your face, but talk about you behind your back, or have plans to put you out by not leading you adequately. You are pretty much on your own when it comes to training and doing the job to their standards. Supervisors are not held accountable for mistakes you may make during the learning process, nor are they held accountable to lead you in the right direction. I personally never got constructive criticism from my supervisor, they were unhappy with my work, but chose to not bring it to my attention until they wanted to let me go. They would like you to think that they "care" and they definitely do a good job of putting on a show, however when push comes to shove, they are like any other corporate company, and will not hesitate to make necessary cuts. This company has no tact in how they handle people who do not fit their culture.

When employed I was very dissatisfied with their health care choices, their dental plan was not worth the money put into it, and neither was their medical. I never even met my deductible for that year to even have it benefit me a little.

My advice, stay on guard, document everything, follow the herd if you would like to keep your job, because even keeping to yourself could cost you, stay on top of your supervisor, and make sure they are staying on top of you. Just cover all your bases, and take everything with a grain of salt.

They are just like any other corporate company, though they claim to be different, they are not. Really the only difference is you can tell this is a Utah based online company when you go online. The website is amateur at best, they have a lot of head way to get through compared to their competitors.

Also the pay does not match with what they expect of you. Not worth it in the end.

Amazons clothing department alone puts Overstocks to shame.

Reform your management team or at the very least train the supervisors to actually do their jobs and supervise. There were sketchy things going on behind the scenes in the creative department, might want to look into that, and stay on top of the ones you might supposedly trust.

Also might want to look into changing who you are competing against because Overstock does not hold a candle to Amazon. C'mon?!?! Really?!?! Aim lower and you may stay above water.

Overall, not a bad place to be employed at

Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We all go to work to earn a paycheck and that's definitely my number one pro for Overstock since the starting wage is more than the ending wage at my last job where I was in management and worked for four years . Most days, I can honestly say that I enjoy going to work and being in the frontline customer care team. I have options to actually help customers, at least the reasonable ones, and to "do the right thing". The company also has lots of fun things that help your attitude towards work. Examples: Lagoon Day, their OUniversity resources, polls to employees to give you the impression your opinion matters.

Cons

For me, the biggest con has been noticing that it's more of who you know than your actual abilities to be able to move around to other departments. It's caused me to wonder whether I want to actually work here long term. The company's requirements to "tier up" and gain additional tools to help your daily job are also a bit ridiculous. I was able to get to their tier 2 within a few months of being on the floor, which made me feel great about myself & work abilities. But since then I've been a few percentages off from their stat requirements to go to tier 3, making me feel "stuck" and not able to progress, despite trying my best to help customers and follow proper procedures. On top on this, the company's Internal Knowledge Base (IKB) is seriously outdated and could use a makeover - unlike other company websites that are rarely used that have undergone recent makeovers.

I love the vibe given at stand ups of every employee counting and working together. However, the daily grind isn't really like that. There's a lack of communication between departments (at least from my perspective in frontline where backline reps seem annoyed at questions or request for help with customers), resources (IKB) that I use daily are outdated, and the obvious favoritism through out the company is a real bummer.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com