Typical Corporation

Current Employee - Business in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Business in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO is great (just too bad it doesn't trickle down to the rest of management), there are some good people who work there, company values sound and look good on paper

Cons

The culture of Overstock is challenging - most of upper management is completely out of touch with reality and with the people they are supposed to be managing. The office location out by the airport is a joke, the higher ups try to make you drink the company kool-aid but deny it is what it is: a place for CS workers to sleep (both in break rooms and at their desks), and people with a high level of incompetence to excel. Developers and Merchandising groups are a constant revolving door.

Advice to Management

The middle management is much better at their jobs than the people at the top. Motivating by fear is not a good way to conduct business. Instead of threatening people, try actually showing them you appreciate their hard work - rather than the current tactics of promoting morons just because they know someone already at the top (and who are, in reality, totally incapable of producing respectable results).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Company

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, office culture, location

Cons

nothing much to say here. Maybe more perks and sick days off

Overall, not a bad place to be employed at

Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Frontline Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We all go to work to earn a paycheck and that's definitely my number one pro for Overstock since the starting wage is more than the ending wage at my last job where I was in management and worked for four years . Most days, I can honestly say that I enjoy going to work and being in the frontline customer care team. I have options to actually help customers, at least the reasonable ones, and to "do the right thing". The company also has lots of fun things that help your attitude towards work. Examples: Lagoon Day, their OUniversity resources, polls to employees to give you the impression your opinion matters.

Cons

For me, the biggest con has been noticing that it's more of who you know than your actual abilities to be able to move around to other departments. It's caused me to wonder whether I want to actually work here long term. The company's requirements to "tier up" and gain additional tools to help your daily job are also a bit ridiculous. I was able to get to their tier 2 within a few months of being on the floor, which made me feel great about myself & work abilities. But since then I've been a few percentages off from their stat requirements to go to tier 3, making me feel "stuck" and not able to progress, despite trying my best to help customers and follow proper procedures. On top on this, the company's Internal Knowledge Base (IKB) is seriously outdated and could use a makeover - unlike other company websites that are rarely used that have undergone recent makeovers.

Advice to Management

I love the vibe given at stand ups of every employee counting and working together. However, the daily grind isn't really like that. There's a lack of communication between departments (at least from my perspective in frontline where backline reps seem annoyed at questions or request for help with customers), resources (IKB) that I use daily are outdated, and the obvious favoritism through out the company is a real bummer.