Overstock.com
www.overstock.com Salt Lake City, UT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Below average experience with hefty bureaucracy

Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

ProsNice coworkers and one of the better views.

ConsThe bureaucracy is insane. You practically have to get your hands stamped everytime you lift a finger to do something. Senior management is getting better, but it feels like only a handful are qualified to run a billion dollar business.

Internal supporting technology is at least 10 years behind, and there is a tendency to just pay the most expensive bidder to make a problem go away.

Most of the qualified merchandising talent has left in the past year. Most businesses are run by recently promoted lower level employees trying to not screw it up too badly. Everyone is scared to death of layoffs, which happen with no rhyme or reason. Did I mention the bonus structure is nearly non-existent?

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your reviews process. It is pathetic. Everyone is afraid of more qualified employees taking their place. Low performers are given low goals that any baboon can reach, but high perfomers are given impossible goals to keep them in their place.

Hire better. With good talent, you don't have to have pay a bunch of number crunchers and consultants to tell you how to run the business.

Senior management spends zero time at ground level. The occasional 15 second hello in the hallway is useless. Middle level employees are at the mercy of the the kings and queens of their fiefdoms. There is no safe way to bubble up concerns privately.

Spend one day a month sitting with employees, privately and at their desks You'll learn a lot more than you ever will talking to other management.

Stop jumping on the next big thing every month. We need to get it right the first time. Non-stop training for processes that change every quarter kills productivity.

Great place to work if you are okay with "cliques".

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros: The pay seems to be competitive. The job can be fulfilling if… Cons: There can be a lot of drama in the Customer Care Department. If you try not to get involved in it you are seen as… Advice to Senior Management: I would recommend taking a look at the team lead… More

poor pay, micromanaging, poor communication

Copywriter (Former Employee)

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros: easy to take time off, daily food trucks, great co-workers Cons: promotions are given randomly to those not exactly qualified, while passing up long-term hard working employees. management seems removed from lower-rung workers and doesn't understand… Advice to Senior Management: give more advancement opportunities to those who have been there longer/worked hard, rather than hiring new, incompetent managers. give more monetary incentives (as opposed to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Overstock.com.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Overstock.com CEO Patrick M. Byrne. All reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees.