There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Below average experience with hefty bureaucracy

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Nice coworkers and one of the better views.

Cons

The bureaucracy is insane. You practically have to get your hands stamped everytime you lift a finger to do something. Senior management is getting better, but it feels like only a handful are qualified to run a billion dollar business.

Internal supporting technology is at least 10 years behind, and there is a tendency to just pay the most expensive bidder to make a problem go away.

Most of the qualified merchandising talent has left in the past year. Most businesses are run by recently promoted lower level employees trying to not screw it up too badly. Everyone is scared to death of layoffs, which happen with no rhyme or reason. Did I mention the bonus structure is nearly non-existent?

Advice to Management

Fix your reviews process. It is pathetic. Everyone is afraid of more qualified employees taking their place. Low performers are given low goals that any baboon can reach, but high perfomers are given impossible goals to keep them in their place.

Hire better. With good talent, you don't have to have pay a bunch of number crunchers and consultants to tell you how to run the business.

Senior management spends zero time at ground level. The occasional 15 second hello in the hallway is useless. Middle level employees are at the mercy of the the kings and queens of their fiefdoms. There is no safe way to bubble up concerns privately.

Spend one day a month sitting with employees, privately and at their desks You'll learn a lot more than you ever will talking to other management.

Stop jumping on the next big thing every month. We need to get it right the first time. Non-stop training for processes that change every quarter kills productivity.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

poor pay, micromanaging, poor communication

Former Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

easy to take time off, daily food trucks, great co-workers

Cons

promotions are given randomly to those not exactly qualified, while passing up long-term hard working employees. management seems removed from lower-rung workers and doesn't understand what exactly people do. few incentives, little praise when doing well but swift when someone makes a mistake. the feeling of being monitored constantly (online and offline); not being treated like adults. The benefits are also pretty expensive and terrible (Select Health - I had an HSA - I paid $30 a month, deposited $50 a month with no monthly employer contribution)

Advice to Management

give more advancement opportunities to those who have been there longer/worked hard, rather than hiring new, incompetent managers. give more monetary incentives (as opposed to embarrassing field-trip-esque 'concerts'). Monthly contributions to those with HSAs (customary at many smaller companies). Don't send out emails warning staff of spending "up to 15 minutes a day" on non-work sites - we are adults and we have BREAK TIME. Seriously, we can do our jobs too.

Excellent company to work for but depends on which group you are in

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

No politics and there are some very smart people. There is no micro management in the group that I am in. Excellent knowledge sharing.

Cons

Development group seems to be bloated at this point, not sure how that is going to play out in the near future.