There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Great place to work if you are okay with "cliques".

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

The pay seems to be competitive. The job can be fulfilling if you don't mind staying in the position you are hired in to.

Cons

There can be a lot of drama in the Customer Care Department. If you try not to get involved in it you are seen as uncaring and you get passed up on a lot of opportunities.

Most of the advancement seems to be within a certain type of crowd. If you aren't part of the crowd that "parties" with middle management you won't get far in the company. There is little support for an employee that works hard and knows the ins and outs of their position when their direct supervisor doesn't know how to do their job.

Advice to Management

I would recommend taking a look at the team lead if the entire team seems to be falling behind.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

poor pay, micromanaging, poor communication

Former Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

easy to take time off, daily food trucks, great co-workers

Cons

promotions are given randomly to those not exactly qualified, while passing up long-term hard working employees. management seems removed from lower-rung workers and doesn't understand what exactly people do. few incentives, little praise when doing well but swift when someone makes a mistake. the feeling of being monitored constantly (online and offline); not being treated like adults. The benefits are also pretty expensive and terrible (Select Health - I had an HSA - I paid $30 a month, deposited $50 a month with no monthly employer contribution)

Advice to Management

give more advancement opportunities to those who have been there longer/worked hard, rather than hiring new, incompetent managers. give more monetary incentives (as opposed to embarrassing field-trip-esque 'concerts'). Monthly contributions to those with HSAs (customary at many smaller companies). Don't send out emails warning staff of spending "up to 15 minutes a day" on non-work sites - we are adults and we have BREAK TIME. Seriously, we can do our jobs too.

Excellent company to work for but depends on which group you are in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

No politics and there are some very smart people. There is no micro management in the group that I am in. Excellent knowledge sharing.

Cons

Development group seems to be bloated at this point, not sure how that is going to play out in the near future.