There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Great place to work if you are okay with "cliques".

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

The pay seems to be competitive. The job can be fulfilling if you don't mind staying in the position you are hired in to.

Cons

There can be a lot of drama in the Customer Care Department. If you try not to get involved in it you are seen as uncaring and you get passed up on a lot of opportunities.

Most of the advancement seems to be within a certain type of crowd. If you aren't part of the crowd that "parties" with middle management you won't get far in the company. There is little support for an employee that works hard and knows the ins and outs of their position when their direct supervisor doesn't know how to do their job.

I would recommend taking a look at the team lead if the entire team seems to be falling behind.

404 Other Employee Reviews for Overstock.com (View Most Recent)

Below average experience with hefty bureaucracy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com

Pros

Nice coworkers and one of the better views.

Cons

The bureaucracy is insane. You practically have to get your hands stamped everytime you lift a finger to do something. Senior management is getting better, but it feels like only a handful are qualified to run a billion dollar business.

Internal supporting technology is at least 10 years behind, and there is a tendency to just pay the most expensive bidder to make a problem go away.

Most of the qualified merchandising talent has left in the past year. Most businesses are run by recently promoted lower level employees trying to not screw it up too badly. Everyone is scared to death of layoffs, which happen with no rhyme or reason. Did I mention the bonus structure is nearly non-existent?

Fix your reviews process. It is pathetic. Everyone is afraid of more qualified employees taking their place. Low performers are given low goals that any baboon can reach, but high perfomers are given impossible goals to keep them in their place.

Hire better. With good talent, you don't have to have pay a bunch of number crunchers and consultants to tell you how to run the business.

Senior management spends zero time at ground level. The occasional 15 second hello in the hallway is useless. Middle level employees are at the mercy of the the kings and queens of their fiefdoms. There is no safe way to bubble up concerns privately.

Spend one day a month sitting with employees, privately and at their desks You'll learn a lot more than you ever will talking to other management.

Stop jumping on the next big thing every month. We need to get it right the first time. Non-stop training for processes that change every quarter kills productivity.

poor pay, micromanaging, poor communication

Former Employee - Copywriter  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

easy to take time off, daily food trucks, great co-workers

Cons

promotions are given randomly to those not exactly qualified, while passing up long-term hard working employees. management seems removed from lower-rung workers and doesn't understand what exactly people do. few incentives, little praise when doing well but swift when someone makes a mistake. the feeling of being monitored constantly (online and offline); not being treated like adults. The benefits are also pretty expensive and terrible (Select Health - I had an HSA - I paid $30 a month, deposited $50 a month with no monthly employer contribution)

give more advancement opportunities to those who have been there longer/worked hard, rather than hiring new, incompetent managers. give more monetary incentives (as opposed to embarrassing field-trip-esque 'concerts'). Monthly contributions to those with HSAs (customary at many smaller companies). Don't send out emails warning staff of spending "up to 15 minutes a day" on non-work sites - we are adults and we have BREAK TIME. Seriously, we can do our jobs too.

There are newer employer reviews for Overstock.com

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!