Great place to work

I have been working at Overwatch Systems

Pros

The company is big enough in the defense industry which makes employees feel that their work is important for national security but not a mega defense corporation where people are units of labor.

The team members are great. Unlike many companies I've worked with, the HR staff is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Very quick to respond to questions and get things done.

My manager is very active in my career growth within the company and really invests alot of time in me.

Work/Life balance (you can come in to work at 10am if you want - as long as you get your 8 hours in and the work is done by deadline), laid back work place

Cons

Pay is comfortable but not like drug/healthcare industry, the consulting industry or IT field where salaries are much higher. Hey, it's the defense industry.

If you don't have your clearance, you can't work on the really cool stuff right away (this is also a PRO because they will put you in for a clearance - next year I should be able to work on the cool stuff)

Hire more senior military officers fresh from retirement to help win even more business. For such a military/government/intelligence driven environment, I don't see too many former military people in leadership these days.

Other Reviews for Overwatch Systems

Decent empoloyment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Overwatch Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good coworkers, decent salary, nice facilities

Cons

Challenged by current sequestration climate

No clear vision for future success

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Overwatch Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good location in southwest Austin. If you're lucky, you occasionally get the opportunity to work on new things (IRAD).
    Great people to work with who become great network assets (many employees have left after being recruited by other former employees)

Cons

No insight into company's future past the next few weeks at a time. As a result, management direction is very reactive and not very proactive.
    Not able to do things to improve current products or processes unless you have "direct charge", but there's never enough time under the direct charge to improve existing items.
    Much of the work we've had lately has been limited to bug fixes the customer prioritizes, not too much new features or fixing internally discovered bugs.
    Many coworkers have left for other jobs, leaving the rest of us scrambling.
    Extremely hard to get a raise or promotion unless you already are in a level of management.

Look past the next week or month when making plans and decisions. Find a better way to share knowledge and transition roles upon someone giving their two weeks notice. Think strategically about using indirect money to improve customer's opinions of us and our software quality, rather than chase the same IRAD dreams.

There are newer employer reviews for Overwatch Systems.

Worked for Overwatch Systems? Contribute to the Community!