OC is a good place to work and has its perks, but can do much better developing people and their careers

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Owens Corning

Pros

OC is a global company with the opportunity to make a sizeable bonus based on corporate performance. Lots of opportunity throughout the organization to impact decision making at all levels of the organization. 100% on first 5% 401K match.

Cons

Career advancement can happen, but many open positions are not posted on the internal job board and people are merely placed in roles (although I have benefited from this practice). Not enough advanced planning occurs and fire drills are frequent in many areas. Horrible health insurance.

Be more forthcoming with employees about the future direction of the company. Recruit more talent out of undergrad universities to fill entry-level roles. Post every open position internally. Provide a mentor system for more employees.

Other Reviews for Owens Corning

OC is a good place to work, but it could be better

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Brookville, IN
    Current Employee - Programmer in Brookville, IN

I have been working at Owens Corning

Pros

I enjoy the work I do. The monetary pay for the work I do meets my expectations. My job is challenging and I am sufficiently empowered that I can implement my work as needed without endless consultation with those to whom I report.

Cons

It sometimes seems there are too few who have the knowledge and experince to get the job done and dedicated enough to continue learning. The few who can work too many hours. Retirement via mutual funds and limited corporate co-funding is inadequate for primary (hourly) employees. Too many positions are held by those who primary criterion for employment is a degree rather than general competence.

Think about compensation for managers and those who actually make products. Most of the time manager compensation, especially at higher levels, appears to be out-of-line with their contribution to profitability.

Owens Corning in Europe

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Apeldoorn (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Apeldoorn (Netherlands)

I have been working at Owens Corning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Well organised company, high ethical standards, salaries are good

Cons

Bit burocratic, have difficulties to reach their employess through the abundant use of buzz words and meaningless catch phrases.

Try to come off your throne and try to communicate in a way that your people will understand and appreciate

There are newer employer reviews for Owens Corning.

Worked for Owens Corning? Contribute to the Community!