Owens-Illinois

There are newer employer reviews for Owens-Illinois

maintenance mechanic at owens-illinois

Current Employee - General Maintenance Mechanic in Auburn, NY
Current Employee - General Maintenance Mechanic in Auburn, NY

I have been working at Owens-Illinois

Pros

the pay is decent, benefits package is decent and medical isn't too expensive. a lot of overtime offered so it helps when you need extra cash.

Cons

who's your daddy hiring practices, lack of competant management, union and front office workers are segregated.... management doesn't give much incentive to work harder or offer much praise to employees.

I do like what I see from Al Stroucken, however management at my local plant could be better. There is always that feeling that management feels they are royalty and union employees are the serfs. There needs to be more communication to the union employees, involve us in more things and meetings, and incentive and reward for good work is lacking and needs to be improved.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Owens-Illinois (View Most Recent)

Do not play the Corporate game

I worked at Owens-Illinois

Pros

Benefit package is decent, however stock is very low. Support for continuing education is appreciated. Various locations in U.S. to transfer to which is good.

Cons

No support by HR department or senior management. Downsizing efforts are random and not well thought out. Policies are made without employee engagement. Internal issues are not addressed nor explained to current staff. No work/family balance - basically give your life over to company. Expected to check/reply to vm and e-mail while on vacation, even if out of the country. Unrealistic expectations.

Stop worrying about cultural diversity and pay attention to the employees you've already invested in.

If you're looking for recognition of your work don't look here, expectation is overtime and self-teaching of job duties.

Former Employee - Analyst in Perrysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Perrysburg, OH

I worked at Owens-Illinois

Pros

If you are a senior manager it could be good, they get fancy management retreats and education, but have to participate in addition to their full 40 hour workload.

Cons

Not at all focused on employees, CEO worships stock price plain and simple. Not that that's bad, but it is not balanced against any apparent concern for employees. Senior management is simply not interested in knowing employee feedback, they never asked me once not even an exit interview. I got worked like a dog to cover my own and an unstaffed position for over 6 months, yet somehow all I did was never enough for my manager, no praise was ever given. And that manager is still there and is considered "successful" despite incompetence with employees.

Stop spending such a high percentage of money on other senior managers programs, have some programs for the common professional employee, help them get someone on their side if their manager isn't. Take an interest in your employees and how your senior managers are treating them, request employee feedback on those managers. Pay attention to what is going on!

There are newer employer reviews for Owens-Illinois