Oxford Global Resources

www.oxfordcorp.com

Oxford Global Resources - A Great Place for a Career

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter  in  Federal Way, WA
Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Federal Way, WA

Pros

Oxford has a proven business model that is extremely successful. The account management and technical recruiting roles allow for individuals to control their own destiny. These are positions that allow you to get out of them what you put into them, and if you are willing to trust a ~30 year old business model of a very successful company and consistently put in the time and effort that it deserves the sky is the limit.

Unlimited income potential.
Excellent initial and continuous training.
Compeititive, fun, and hard working environment
Opportunity to grow and move into various levels of management.

Cons

It takes time to develop and grow. Individuals need to be consistent in daily effort and tempo in order to develop rapidly, and see the fruits of their labor.

The role is not an instant gratification role such as selling mobile telephones. It takes time to develop a portfolio of clients/consultants, build relationships, and make sales. People really need to be able to invest in the long term goal, trust in the model, management, and their peers as everyone is here to be successful.

This is not a career where things are handed or come to you, you have to go out and get them.

Other reviews for Oxford Global Resources

Oxford has provided constant challenges, high compensation and a seemingly endless career path.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

First and foremost, Oxford knows how to compensate high performers. The commission structure here is generous and you always get your cut of the business you bring in. This is more than just a "sales job", though; it's a real career opportunity.

All managers are promoted from within which means that they all started where you, the potential applicant, starts. I have received several promotions, but more importantly, a real sense of security in the long-term. We survived the most recent recession with no layoffs. Oxford stuck with me even when my sales numbers went down due to the down economy. We were one of the last industries into the recession and one of the first ones to recover, so it's clear to me that we sell a highly-valued product here. That makes me feel good about what I do as an Account Manager. Now that the recession is in the rear-view mirror, we're breaking new sales records every day.

The sales process here has been refined over time and practically guarantees success for people willing to work hard and slog through the first 6 months of building up your client relationships.

You'd have to see our office to believe it. We just relocated to our own floor of the TDS building in Madison. In it we have a private gym, a high-tech set of conference rooms for ongoing training (which never stops, by the way), a lounge with a pool table, game consoles, TVs on nearly every wall with news and stocks 24/7, and there's more on the way. The senior management and our corporate management in Boston understands that this is a challenging job, so they're taking care of us accordingly.

You control your own destiny here. You pick your clients. You build a network of contacts. The clients ultimately choose Oxford because of you and the value you demonstrate. It's like an entrepreneurial opportunity with the power of an established company behind you. If you want more money, a few weeks of putting forth your best effort can get that for you. You get paid for the duration of our contractor placements, so every placement is like a raise that you have earned. We measure everything here, so you can always go home knowing that you did a good job today. We have been branching out into new market segments based on the pioneering efforts of a few Account Managers and Recruiters discovering the opportunities, so there's always room for future employees!

Cons

Don't take this job if you're not a "phone person". It's 100% phones. You're on the phone the whole day. We have a lot of interaction with the team within the office, but our business is done with clients in other states primarily.

Expect to work hard and expect an uphill battle for your first 6 months. Things really start clicking at a year, but you really have to work up to that point. This job will push your limits and force you to grow. This is not a cushy office job, pure and simple. You can make a lot of money, but not without putting in the time and effort. It's initially a numbers game, but it becomes a finesse game over time.

Your previous sales experience was good preparation, but there's still work to be done. Lots of our account managers have come from a sales background, but this is relationship-based account management which is a longer lead time and not your typical sales job. There's a learning curve and you may need to change your approach.

This is pretty standard if you have ever worked a commission-based job before, but this job has a few high-stakes ups and downs on a daily basis. Clients can lose their budgets, contractors can decide not to take our positions, the contractors you have placed eventually complete their assignments and you have to replace them, etc. Your paycheck will go up and down. That being said, I've observed that they trend up in the long term as a general rule.

We have a lot of performance metrics here. Your progress is measured and your manager will know how you're doing at all times. This is meant to help, but it can feel like a threat if you are not doing well. The metrics, if used properly, are a great management tool to help diagnose areas for improvement. If used improperly, it can feel as though you're being managed by the numbers. I'd like to say we're perfect, but this is an area we can improve on.

Great company with great opportunities to excel.

Current Employee - Group Lead, Account Management  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Group Lead, Account Management in Madison, WI

Pros

Oxford is entirely grown from the inside. There are two main benefits to this: Lots of room for career advancement and management actually knows the job better than you do unlike some other companies that hire from the outside. There is constant training throughout your career and it's more of a team environment vs. a dog eat dog world. We all work hard together and we all succeed together. At the same time, your individual effort is reflected on your paychecks as the earning potential is essentially unlimited. Oxford also has a very established process which makes them very successful at what they do. The work is challenging and dynamic which forces you to use your brain and be creative. Overall it's a very rewarding job that I look forward to doing every day.

Cons

It's not an easy job! If you thought you were a hard worker before, prepare to reconsider that. Oxford's internal requirements are achievable but they also require you to strengthen your work ethic. I wouldn't consider this a negative thing by any means but people need to realize that this isn't a "show up and sit at your desk" kind of job. Its challenging and mentally hard work but very rewarding in the end.

Embrace technology. We are a company that is helping to create the some of the most cutting edge technologies in the world yet the phones we use are technically classified as a "end-of-life product". With the phones being our #1 tool for the job, we are hindering ourselves and our capabilities. The phones should be entirely controlled through our computers and keyboard. We should also use Skype as a complimentary tool because most every engineering manager uses it on a regular basis. Skype will show when people are available and not available for a call. This will save us time by being more efficient with calling attempts. We should also have instant messenger on our computers for internal communication as it's a lot more efficient than sending emails back and forth.

There are newer employer reviews for Oxford Global Resources.

Worked for Oxford Global Resources? Contribute to the Community!