Oxford
www.ox.ac.uk Oxford, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Great researching resources and students; poor salaries, employment rights and support

Tutor and Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at Oxford part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe students are ambitious and wonderful to teach (mostly), and the libraries and community of scholars is vibrant and ambitious, if occasionally overly-competitive or a few years behind the trends.

ConsFew, and increasingly fewer, tenured jobs, with more emphasis on by-hour and adjunct teaching, which means no payment for marking and prep. I was once told that, because I was based at a different college to the one I was tutoring for and was a grad student at the time -- that I had no right to photocopy for my students and that therefore any photocopies I needed for class would come out of my £22 per (classroom) hour wage. In general, Oxford knows that the brand has capital, and that academics cannot be choosy about their jobs in this market, and it seems to take full advantage of these facts by treating their employees as people who should be grateful just to be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessionalise your approach: ensure that everyone ranging from full professors and chairs to graduate tutors can benefit from salary and per-hour wage transparency, a clear year-by-year salary/wage ladder, and a federalised expectation of what colleges should be providing to their tutors outside of basic wage and/or salary. In general, federalise teaching provision and payment as much as possible: opportunities, hierarchies and support ranges far too drastically from college to college.

Decent pay, good career support and courses, great reputation

Post Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford full-time for more than a year

Pros: Reputation is excellent for future employment. Research is not notch.… Cons: Services can be a little 2nd world (e.g IT). Quality… Advice to Senior Management: Put a university wide scheme in place to ensure all… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Overall a positive experience but it is a long way off perfect

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oxford full-time for more than a year

Pros: You have a lot of freedom to pursue your own ideas. You tend to come across a good quality of other scientists to work… Cons: If your ideas you have don't result in a decent publication or two every 2-3 years, you will find it tough in academia. Luck… Advice to Senior Management: Supervisors of labs vary massively in their ability to be managers, which in their defence was… More

There are newer reviews on Oxford.

Worked for Oxford? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oxford reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oxford CEO Andrew Hamilton . All reviews posted anonymously by Oxford employees.