There are newer employer reviews for Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Good company to work for with good benefits.

Current Employee - Operator I in Mount Juliet, TN
Current Employee - Operator I in Mount Juliet, TN

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work with lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Not air conditioned..so wears you out in high temps..due to the fact that its fast paced.

reviews filtered by
  1. I enjoyed my job at OHL

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with a group of clients that appreciate you

Cons

Supervisors that communicate with workers in a professional manner.

Advice to Management

Need more worker bee's and less middle management

Laid back, great resume builder, still acts like a start-up company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Pros

Management is open to recommendations and candid feedback. Fellow employees are wonderful. You are free to do as you please with very little supervision, as long as the job is done. Flexible schedules. Plenty of overtime if you are hourly. I have phenomenal respect for the former CEO and current Chairman of the Board, Scot McWilliams. If only he could be everywhere, see everything, and fix it.

Cons

In my position, I work with many business units within OHL and the common theme is lack of communication, poor processes, and lack of experience and industry knowledge. If you are too good at your job, you will wind up "stuck" in you position, but they are not willing to pay accordingly. Very little female representation in management roles. If you are not a "good ol' boy", good luck moving up, despite impeccable performance. Employees are overworked. Deadlines are impossible and there is a general lack of understanding of how departments and business units intertwine. It is next to impossible to drive positive change. No training at all. Systems and processes (or lack of) are learned and implemented on the fly. The training that is available is on a fifth-grade reading level - very slow, common sense topics, and little to no help. The epitome of the insanity theory - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Advice to Management

You have a great vision, but poor execution. There is very little support from upper management. Manager, directors, and vice presidents need to get out of their offices and sit with front-line employees to understand processes, issues, and concerns. Take a queue from your Chairman of the Board, who I have seen sit with customer service reps to better understand and resolve issues. Expect of yourself what you expect of your employees. If my manager comes to me with a question specific to my role, they would expect me to know the answer. More times than not, I leave a manager's, director's, or vice president's office with more questions that when I began. Know your job, know what your employees do, and more importantly, know what they should be doing...then communicate it face to face, not hidden behind your computer. Being open to recommendations , resolutions, and candid feedback is one thing. Actually doing something about is something entirely different, and seldom seen. Be a mentor. Help someone grow professionally, learn something new, and succeed.