verry good

Current Employee - Driver  in  Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Driver in Detroit, MI

I have been working at P.A.M. Transportation

Pros

respectfull to employees
verry family orinted have a decient pay package has some of the best benifents around and also has good home time for their drivers

Cons

the in ability to communicate with the departments in the company to have repairs done on the trucks in a timely fassion

my advice to leadership is as a driver their need to be a better way to contact our road rescue when our trucks break down alot of tinme we are on hold for long periods of time to get through or the line is to busy their realy need to be more people in this department to handle the work load

Other Reviews for P.A.M. Transportation

good miles decent home time decent pay

Current Employee - OTR Driver  in  Tontitown, AR
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Tontitown, AR

I have been working at P.A.M. Transportation

Pros

u can get great miles if ur willing to run your butt off. there driver rewards program aint to bad especially if ur a safe driver. home time comes some what easy depending on the frieght in ur home time off areas.

Cons

if your truck is broke down in another state and you been out for a while they count that time as time off and they wont let u go to ur house for time off like u had scheduled prior to the breakdown.

learn to answer the phone and dont put us truckers on hold for 30 plus minutes while were broke down on the side of the road. and comunicate with each other about what u have given a trucker permissin to do when he does it.

A good place to start a career as a Professional Driver, a bad place to stay though.

Current Employee - Driver, Team Driver, Driver Trainer  in  Tontitown, AR
    Current Employee - Driver, Team Driver, Driver Trainer in Tontitown, AR

I have been working at P.A.M. Transportation

Pros

P.A.M. Transportation is a decent company to start you on your career path as a Professional Driver. They offer to assist you in paying for your CDL School, and allow you a year to pay back the courses, withdrawing a small sum from your paychecks each week during the first year. After you finish school, you spend up to 6 weeks with a Driver Trainer, who teaches you to drive safely and legally, as well as the basics for working on your own as a Driver with the company. After training you are tested to be sure that you can operate on your own, safely and efficiently. Then you are assigned a Semi Tractor, and are set out with dispatch instructions and directions. Their training program is far better than that of most of the larger companies, as it allows a decent amount of time to become familiar with the job while being supervised to prevent mishaps. P.A.M. Transports training program is focused on safety first.

Cons

This company works with forced dispatch and does not communicate well between different departments. This leads most often to Drivers being sent into an area to deliver, then stranded for on to several days waiting on another dispatch. when loads are available, it is common to have separate people trying to dispatch you at the same time. There is also a lack of properly trained support people on the second and third shifts, and almost no communication between the shifts, resulting in wasted time and money for both the company and the employees. For example while I was with this company, on many different occasions I was told after an evening delivery, while i still had plenty of drive time available to wait til morning for my next dispatch, only to find when I called the next morning that my dispatch had been sitting in the yard since the night before.

Also this company does not have a good equipment plan for maintaining steady maintenance for the drivers that drive outside of this companies standard route delivery areas. Primarily for drivers that have runs taking them to the west coast consistently. Such drivers should be issued newer equipment to prevent mileage related break downs in areas where company shops are not available..

I have a point That is actually both a comment and a suggestion. It regards information and safety issues that are sent on the Qualcomm. These are good reminders, and some contain information about the company that all the drivers are keen to receive. These are a great idea on the part of the company and help keep the drivers aware of safety and quality issues that otherwise would grow stale in our minds. The timing is an issue though. I had this idea a couple of years ago and wanted to share it then, however I don't believe the suggestion ever made it up the chain to those who could make this decision. Company policy states that we are not to use the Qualcomm while the vehicle is in motion, and this is a very good policy. However to make it easier on everyone involved if instead of sending messages at different times through out the day, how about sending them out together and at specific time of day that does not coincide with rush hour traffic for any time zone. For example 3 pm Eastern time 2 pm Central time etc. Often i would get safety/information messages at 5-5:30 pm Eastern time and often i was right in the middle of rush hour traffic trying to find a place to stop to check the Qualcomm, only to find it was a repeat message about safety, or a note from the Office about hours. Also setting a general time for messages would make drivers more responsive to emergency messages that come in at other times, as hearing the Qualcomm activate at a time we aren't expecting it would make Drivers more responsive to finding a place to stop to check the message. Also on this topic, have your driver managers and other departments check the trucks hours of service before sending dispatch assignments or information requests out. After a driver spent 11 hours driving and has been parked for 6 hours <4 hour short of the required 10 hours sleeper/off duty time>, the Qualcomm going off for a load assignment or just to ask the driver something interrupts their sleep and therefore makes them less safe when it is time for them to drive again. this seems like common sense, but your drivers are rarely ever able to go 10 hours during a weekday without the Qualcomm going off. Many of your drivers use different means to silence the Qualcomm when they sleep due to extraneous messages waking them, and therefore are not available when necessary communications come through. That is a harder issue to confront, but still something should be done to change it,

There are newer employer reviews for P.A.M. Transportation.

Worked for P.A.M. Transportation? Contribute to the Community!