Flexible for college students

Former Employee - Server
Former Employee - Server

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent pay, good work/life balance

Cons

bureaucratic sometimes, managers pick favorites

Advice to Management

better communication and respect for employees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good money, flexibility, no respect

Former Employee - Host, Backwater, Takeout, Server Bartender
    Former Employee - Host, Backwater, Takeout, Server Bartender

I worked at P.F. Chang's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I met a lot of awesome people working there. All promotions are made from within, so if you work hard you can start as a host and work up to a bartender or even management. The money's good. All the scheduling is online so picking up/ dropping/ swapping shifts is easy. Management handles all guest complaints in by pretty much buying their meal which can be a good or bad thing as some guests come to expect it.

Cons

Because it's a large corporate company, pressure is put on each level of management, having a trickle down effect on hourly employees. OPs Are under stress from MPs, and loose sight of value in those below them. Hours can be long, regardless of your availability, most weeks if scheduled full time.

Advice to Management

Remember that the hourly employees have the stress of working with the customer, and are often unappreciated by them. If you are "truly glad" to have your best employees there, then take the time to tell them.

2. Disgusting

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Long Beach, CA

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

More money than your average corporate restaurant job.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing. Chipped glasses because they stack them, an easy fix but they don't acknowledge it. Dirty plates and dirty glasses. I had to pick up 4 glasses before finding one clean enough to serve (this is not an exaggeration). We "polish" the appetizer and entree plates (aka wipe the excess off from the dishwasher). Told friends and family not to eat there even while I worked there for fear of sickness. If I ordered food, I would have them put it in togo boxes, most of the staff does this. They use the same schedule every week so you can be a server breaker 5 weeks in a row and they don't change it until you ask them to. After silverware was run through the dishwasher, it would still be dirty so someone would have to run it under hot water (not using soap or sanitizer and get the excess off). I've worked in 6 different restaurants from dishwasher/busser to management and this was by far the dirtiest and most repulsive of all. I gagged when I pulled a couple supposedly clean ramekins apart and found what looked like a chicken bone.

Advice to Management

Don't stack glass cups on top of each other, it causes chips and is unsafe. Tell the dishwasher person that the dishwasher machine should only be meant to sanitize and that they have to do most of the work. Give the good shifts to the good or senior staff members. You have a great restaurant concept here and great opportunity to make this restaurant great but you are failing. Take a little more pride in your job.