There are newer employer reviews for PACCAR

Strong, stable company... Advertise as being LEAN but top executives are paid excessively

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

PACCAR is a stable, growing company. From the perspective of strategy and financial growth, the company is great. For some selected employees, PACCAR heavily emphasizes on promoting from within.

Cons

PACCAR's culture is extremely conservative, and has the "good ole boys" mentality. Mark Piggot AKA "The Chairman" has ran this company successfully with his strong team of executive talent. However, the company truly under-appreciates those below the executive level. The company advertises itself as to being "lean" in expenses and pays non-executives below market value while expecting them to work a ton of hours. However, executives are compensated well above market value. The "Chairman" has good and bad days and the employees run around in fear of running into him on a "bad day." There are many "unwritten" PACCAR rules such as requiring everyone to wear a suit daily, for the ladies not wearing open-toed shoes and always wearing pantyhose (even on the hot days), not using the elevator if you are going up or down two flights and not crossing the street to grab Starbucks during working hours.

You're a smart business man but learn to value your employees... Also, put your "PACCAR unwritten rules" in writing if you want to hold your employees accountable... Hopefully, the next time you find one of us crossing the street to Starbucks during our law-required 10 minute break, you will fight the urge to yell and ridicule them in front of others as you normally do... and instead, hopefully, you will act like the professional business man that you are. Employee satisfaction and healthy work environments produce more effective employees, "Chairman."

229 Other Employee Reviews for PACCAR (View Most Recent)

And the unpaid overtime keeps rolling

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

401K, Pension
    Some cool co-workers who try to show you the ropes
    Lots of funnies stories around the office about Mark's micro-management and quirky dislikes.

Cons

Was recently told to work 11 hours for an engineering push - w/o freebees.
    Was previously told to work weekends for an engineering push, at least on that push we got free soda and coffee.

Seems like these overtime e-mails from managment are the NORM now.

Sad I took the job offer. Had another offer out of state, took this one so I wouldn't have to move the family. Now I hardly see the family.

Dress code right out of the 1970 Ross Perot handbook.

Don't lie to new employees. You lied to me when I was hired about forced UNPAID overtime.
    How about comp time for travel.

Watch out or SPEEA will organize your engineering force. God knows why they haven't already.

Great career opportunities

Current Employee - Director  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Great leadership.Dedicated employee base. Strong committment to grow internal employee.

Cons

Structured workingenvironment. Lack of flexibility.

Manage results rather than time in seat

There are newer employer reviews for PACCAR

Worked for PACCAR? Contribute to the Community!