PACCAR

www.paccar.com
  www.paccar.com
There are newer employer reviews for PACCAR

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Distribution Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
Former Employee - Distribution Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at PACCAR full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supervisors and even the managers work on the floor with you. There is an open-door policy where no matter what position you are in, you can talk to whoever if you have an issue - be it a Supervisor, HR, or even the General Manager. They are always planning reward games that are based off of your productivity, where you can receive money gift cards and paid lunches at work. I have never felt so respected as an employee.

Cons

At the specific warehouse I was at (OKC), there wasn't much opportunity to move up in the company.

241 Other Employee Reviews for PACCAR (View Most Recent)

Learned a lot in 9 months - stuff not taught in college.

Former Employee - Custom Engineering in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Custom Engineering in Kirkland, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some capable engineers that share their knowledge. Several old timers told me after hiring on and having issues to observe management very carefully, take notes if needed, then find a company more to my wants and needs, "You're young he told me." Best advice ever!
    I learned a lot about keeping my resume up to date and arainging interviews whenever I managed to save enough vacation time to take off an go to one. I was much more selective about interviews given the dearth of vacation PACCAR offers it's workers.

Cons

Management seems oblivious to the fact when the market turns down they cut staff and hours, but NEVER project scope nor work load.
    In fact if the market turns down management cuts engineering staff, and they accept any order the sales teams can snag, even orders that require 100's of engineering hours to figure out.
    Since they layoff all drafting support, engineers end up working 55+ hours a week to meet deadlines.
    Deadlines in jeopardy - your manager will harass you till you get that task done, knowing full well the screaming manager will return next week. Manager will move from Engineer to Engineer reminding him the deadlines can't slip. Can you say Office Space TPS report?
    Endless "Recovery" plans to figure out how to keep the projects on schedule. Plan's always involve "Free Overtime Engineering" to do the work mainly because management is oblivious to what it actually takes to design their product.
    IC goals given from Mark Pigott to his minions make sure dumb decision are made throughout the year so they can get their IC bonuses.
    Reduce overhead and Engineering costs?
    Having Indian engineers from L&T now KPIT come over on H1B visa's? What the heck is our government doing with today's unemployment allowing drafters in? Like we have NO US workers able to run Pro-E? Are you serious? These Indian drafters are great, but how did PACCAR convince the government they could NOT find a single US drafter to run Pro-E? Why bring these low skilled Pro-E jocks in from Indian? I can see using CAD jocks in INDIA, but to allow them in the US under H1B, just plain wrong?

Less hounding of engineers when deadlines are in jeopardy, realize that when you lay off people and let contract support staff go something has to give.
    People you hire out of college are smart, can take notes and will make sure even in this economic environment that they don't get stay at a company run like this long.
    When your HR staff during my exit interview nodded their head in agreement about my grips...well you know something is bad inside the core of the company.
    How about showers in the changing room? (New company has them)
    How about flex time? (New company has them)
    How about telecommuting? (New company has them)
    How about relaxing the dress code? (New company has them)
    How about not having to clean my desk every time Pigott might come by for a visit? (New company has yet to make a comment)

Decent career stop but not for long time goals

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, job security, tight management

Cons

No annual raises with annual reviews, no bonus incentives, only 2 weeks vacation/year, limited growth opportunity unless you live near headquarters

Don't micromanage and reward/ackknowledge hard workers

There are newer employer reviews for PACCAR