PAETEC

www.paetec.com
There are newer employer reviews for PAETEC

 

Dissatisfied

  • Comp & Benefits
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Senior Management
  • Career Opportunities
Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at PAETEC

Pros

Initially, a very good place to work for. However, since it went public the company has placed more emphasis on customer order completion rather than customer order quality and employee appreciation.

Cons

A sales driven organization (without any regard for the Back Office) in every sense of the word. Employees are expected to maintain multiple job roles without the true support of upper management. 12-14 hours days, including weekends, are the norm, not the exception (even for salaried-exempt employees). If you are looking for a place of employment where Operations and Sales truly work together, this is not the place. At Paetec the sale trumps all.

Advice to ManagementAdvice

Get back to the company's core focus - customer service - both external and internal. At one time, the company prided itself on customer service, now it prides itself on service in general.

Doesn't Recommend
Disapproves of CEO

83 Other Employee Reviews for PAETEC (View Most Recent)

Sort: Rating Date
  1.  

    decent but robotic

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Career Opportunities
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

    I have been working at PAETEC

    Pros

    work environment is nice, management and colleagues are friendly and respectful

    Cons

    benefits and pay have become less than average, zero education or growth opportunities

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    allow room for growth

    Doesn't Recommend
    Disapproves of CEO
  2. 4 people found this helpful  

    OK place to work, but has issues

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Career Opportunities
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

    I worked at PAETEC

    Pros

    Software engineers are allowed to make technology decisions within the defined problem set. You have work from home privileges and flexible time. You get to work with leading technologies, and you also get a chance to learn the business. Software engineers are not just code monkeys; they are valuable members of the team who understand and help improve business processes.

    Cons

    Management seems to like keeping people in fear of their jobs. You always feel like you are looking over your shoulder. Quite honestly I think this comes from the CEO because it happens to people at the director level and all the way down to people with no direct reports.

    This company has grown from 75 people to over 5000 since 1998, and the people who were there in the beginning are treated VERY differently than newer people. There are people who can basically do whatever they want and get away with it. It's very unfair at times.

    No raises or bonuses since 2007. Recently the CEO told people that the bonuses were given but only to people who deserved them. The interesting this is that this was about 5% of the company. So apparently the other 95% weren't working hard enough? Again, culture of fear.

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Start treating your people better. You may have good retention, but that doesn't mean your people are happy. Many of them are not and judging from your retention numbers in recent months, you probably know that.

    Bring back the raises and bonuses. If you can't, don't blame it on the people who are working hard to make things better, because it's not their fault. Maybe look at leadership direction instead.

    Doesn't Recommend
    Disapproves of CEO
There are newer employer reviews for PAETEC

Work at PAETEC? Share Your Experiences

PAETEC

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.