PAREXEL

There are newer employer reviews for PAREXEL

Stay away from IT and the PMO Departments

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Billerica, MA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Billerica, MA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Some really great co-workers (if they last).

Cons

Two of the worst run departments I've ever seen in my career - IT and the PMO (all headed up by the CIO). They typically promote the worst people into management which only makes the departments that much worse (there are some good managers but they have no 'voice' to make changes in the departments as upper management doesn't care).

They will spend millions of $$ on creating applications that don't work; aren't useful to the end users and waste valuable time and resources (yet they keep putting money into these failed systems).

They implemented 'Agile' yet providing little to no training for the business side of the ideology. Not to mention that it wasn't a good methodology for many of the projects they were implementing. Projects that should have taken 6 months to a year to fully implement were still in the beginning stages after 2 YEARS (I'm not even exaggerating).

The PMO had some great PMs and BAs but they don't typically last long unless out of necessity or convenience. Almost the entire PMO left when I had only been with the company for 3 months (huge red flag and the department didn't get any better.... it got worse with the same person leading it.)

The IT department is one of the worst I've ever seen. All of the best developers and programmers end up leaving. There is no meta data; no governance; multiple systems that do the same things and are mostly 'home grown' (with little or no documentation).

IT and the PMO should work together harmoniously but they don't. They are often pitted against one another making for a very poor working environment and very poorly run projects (no matter how good the PM, BA or even the developers).

Upper management gets these grandiose ideas to implement projects that do not work well and are not accepted well by the actual people who have to use the applications or systems. Not to mention a huge lack in training for these poor people.

I wish I could say it was a good CRO IT experience but it wasn't. With the lack of governance and poor quality in IT, you'd be better off reading a book if you want to get into the industry or getting a job with a company that isn't constantly in utter chaos. Unfortunately it won't change since the same people are involved in ruining... I mean running these departments.

My best advice is to stay away from these two departments and the company overall. (actually... literally RUN away if you see a job posting!)

Pay attention to what is going on in your departments!! You keep promoting the worst people and then wonder why the employees actually doing all the hard work leave. You have probably lost thousands of extremely excellent employees due to your thorough lack of having a clue as to what is going on in your company.

372 Other Employee Reviews for PAREXEL (View Most Recent)

Poor management, good overall experience

Former Employee - Research Associate in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons I found working at PAREXEL is - if you actually try to do well - you learn a lot about rules and regulations governing clinical research. As a Phase I site, it is heavily regulated by the government and sponsors. This can make the experience stressful, but in the end it is so much more valuable. I have taken this knowledge of quality and compliance to my current position (still in clinical research) and have added tremendously to the work there in such a short amount of time. I owe this to PAREXEL and my experience there.

Cons

The management is awful. If you have any new insight, it gets shot down immediately. Thoughtful comments are met with, "This is how we've always done it. Thanks for the feedback, anyway!" How is this supposed to help not only the company grow, but the employee as well? I felt as though my voice was unheard oftentimes and this decreased my motivation.

Please listen to your employees. They are what keep you in your high position. Without employees, you have no company. I understand protocol, and building a framework that "works" for the company. However, when a company silences its employees, there is only one direction the company can go. Down.

Generally good place to work, but lack of career advancement opportunities if you do not have a CRA background.

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Resource Planner in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Resource Planner in Waltham, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay are up to par with other large organizations. Up until recently, a growing organization which can be exciting if in the right mindset and staffing levels adequate.

Cons

Lots of departments restructuring year after year. Very high turnover. My department was small, but I would bet the turnover was higher than the CRA population. I had eight managers in seven years. I know some people that had five in eighteen months. Some were great, but others were not so hot. One time I witnessed one of my supervisors fondling a little baggie of a brownish-white foreign substance. I would classify this supervisor's style as "jumpy." Although some strides have been made, technologies used can be antiquated. Staffing levels are rarely adequate for projects, resulting in burnout of the people currently on them. Talent Acquisition can not hire sufficiently, nor in advance as needed to staff projects.

Focus on quality first, which may not maximize profits and require hiring staff in advance of revenue generation. Evaluate in a few years to see if exceeding customer expectations results in greater profits.

There are newer employer reviews for PAREXEL