There are newer employer reviews for PBS

PBS: Great Benefits, Good Work Enviroment, Low Pay

Current Employee - Assistant Director
Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at PBS

Pros

Great vacation/sick/maternity leave benefits; good 403-B employer matched contribution; flexiblity for time off; interesting co-workers; fantastic mission.

Cons

Low salaries; very low raises (3% in a "good year"); very difficult to get a promotion; Senior Management's pay is out of scale (very high) when compared to what the masses earn; Senior VP over my division is a poor fit for the job; conflict between members of Senior Management negatively affect how those of us in the trenches can perform our jobs.

Realize that the salaries PBS pays-- in terms of the DC area being a very high-cost of living location-- are very low.

Internal conflicts between Senior Management members cause trickle-down issues that affect job performance of others.

Implement a system where those who perform well and are eager to move up and take on more responsibilty are actually given promotions.

56 Other Employee Reviews for PBS (View Most Recent)

A great place to work and a great public mission

I have been working at PBS full-time

Pros

Really excellent, talented and intelligent co-workers who all believe in public media and creating a unique not-for-profit space in the modern television landscape. The retirement benefits are quite good and the company believes in a family-friendly workplace. My kids think my coworkers are Curious George and the Cat in the Hat, and they love telling their friends where I work. I've grown a tremendous amount since I started here and would have a hard time being quite as satisfied anywhere else.

Cons

Not many downsides. There are still silos within the organization and even within departments, but we have been working hard to work through them.

intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at PBS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-hands on experience for just about anything media related you want to learn
    - flexible understanding staff
    -modern hip facility
    -credible company

Cons

can't think of any
    - maybe.. very little supervision.. they expect you to be an independent worker, self starter

There are newer employer reviews for PBS