Good place

Current Employee - Account Manager in Merrimack, NH
Current Employee - Account Manager in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at PC Connection

Pros

This company has a work hard and play have mentality. Any time I have needed time off they are flexible as long as you are meeting retirements.

Cons

In the beginning you can expect long hours, and lots of cold calling. Although you are calling folks that will most likely need your service and products.

Advice to Management

There are a few different career paths to get to management, you can start as an AM go to sales manager, then senior sales manager, and the dir so on and so forth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Average at best

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PC Connection

Pros

Strong support staff to get things done efficiently, decent benefits and a well established company that has been around forever and likely not going to go out of business during the hard times. Good overall vendor relationships, which makes things easier in terms of securing better pricing, etc.

Cons

Poor middle management, company is too focused on monitoring and controlling your every action, than on selling. Lower than average compensation, you are taxed heavily on anything you could possibly earn. Too much focus on monitoring and controlling your every action rather than simply focused on selling. Company takes a percentage of everything from you that you don't even see

Advice to Management

Focus on sales, not "good activity"

2. If you're a salesperson or recent graduate, worth a look.

Former Employee - Developer in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Developer in Merrimack, NH

I worked at PC Connection

Pros

The best thing about working at PC Connection was the technology (I work in IT). They do a pretty good job of keeping you technically current and using mostly current tools and IDEs. (Some companies will balk at upgrading to a new technology). The company isn't very big, and operates pretty lean...so your contributions can seem to have impact. The group I was in also maintained external applications, which was a nice change from the intranet applications I've spent a number of years working on.

While PC Connection doesn't spend much on training, they *do* allow developers to attend one conference a year...which was nice.

My group was great - my manager was really supportive and would shield the developers from most of the office politics.

Cons

Surprisingly, in a company of this size advancement can be glacial. Some days I felt as if I knew as much as the senior level developers in the group. Annual increases are lower than inflation and rather unimpressive. My group would rotate being on-call 24x7 - the differential was almost laughable and way out of line with what other companies offer.

Outside the sales organization, there were no bonuses or other incentives. There are also a number of raffles, contests and other incentives offered to the sales force but not to the rest of the company. This leads to a feeling of inequity with the "outsiders."

Advice to Management

Offer some kind of incentive to the other employees in the organization who make things work. Increase the differential pay for 24x7 employees.