PCA

www.packagingcorp.com
  www.packagingcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for PCA

Really research your location

Current Employee - Sales in Ilorin, Kwara (Nigeria)
Current Employee - Sales in Ilorin, Kwara (Nigeria)

I have been working at PCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PCA is solid financially and they seem to care at the corporate level, I think anyway.

Cons

The management office and plant treat sales people like they are not part of the team. No help from mangement and the plants compete against each other. No team work.

Be honest take time to talk to your people. I believed in PCA only to find it wasn't anything like they told me it was. I think corporate should be more involved at the plant level. They do an employee survey every year, I wouldn never put down what I really think, they say it's confidential but, if you look at the questions, they can figure out who is who.

29 Other Employee Reviews for PCA (View Most Recent)

Frustrating

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at PCA

Pros

Great People, treated well, sense of team, golden rule enviroment

Cons

Sells to 5% of the market(I was told when hired I coud sell anyone anywhere), narrow window to sell, do not sell brown box truckload street business anymore, need complex sales to be successful. Commission rate lowest in industry because it is based on margin and volume, you can forget about the margin side of it. PCA pricing system is set up for the house. They keep individual sales awards a secret for some unexplained reason.

Please review your commission structure. The field sales team is being adversely effected, while the company continues to be the most profitable in the industry,

Good Company but Lacking Qualified Managers

Current Employee - N/A in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at PCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great People
    - Creative thinking
    - Open Network to collaborate
    - Forward thinking and explorative when new technologies are introduced
    - Flexible working hours and environment
    - Willing to create positions for people to expand and grow

Cons

- Pay is a little low for the creative positions given the experience
    - Get it done and ask questions later mentality (whether right or wrong)
    - Inexperienced DC Managers managing people who are more qualified they their direct reports.
    - Lack of communication from the management teams. (An "I'm the manager and you're not" attitude.)

Use your people more effectively, "Get involved" is not effective management advice. Management is their to lead by example and provide guidance to their direct reports. Not just to tell their direct report when they're doing something wrong. Share more information when it come to creative projects and get your people involved, their are highly qualified people in the PCA system not being utilized to their full potential.

There are newer employer reviews for PCA