Good opportunities to learn.. Some major projects ongoing in Toronto and Calgary Region

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great management, knowledgeable and fun working environment..
-Great Salary and benefit structure (medical, dental, etc.)
- Gets to move a lot depending on location and type of project

Cons

- Late hours- might end up working 60 hrs/ week if project demands more work.
- Hard to maintain work - life balance

Keep up the good work.

Other Reviews for PCL Construction Enterprises

Fabulous company, incomparable benefits!

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

95+ percent of the salaried employees own the Company (no one can own more than 5% of the shares). This gives the Company a very paternalistic culture where everyone has a vested interest in the success of every other team member. Mentorship is ingrained and everyone is willing to help others. The benefits are incredible (3 weeks of vacation to start, 4x salary in life insurance, $150 deductible medical plan) and the employee share of the cost is a percentage of salary. That means that the higher compensated employees subsidize the cost for the lesser compensated employees and everybody is fine with it. They have a goal of 35 hours/employee/year for community service and make numerous activities available to help us meet that goal, many of which are on Company time. There is a similar 35 hour/year goal for continuing education through the PCL College of Construction. A wellness program includes free health screenings for employees and spouses, exercise reimbursement, etc. The big benefit is share ownership - every employee is offered an opportunity to purchase shares each year and the shares have averaged more than a 40% return each year since 1977! It's the best equity generating vehicle I have ever seen. Long term employees who have been purchasing shares regularly see divident checks well in excess of their annual salaries! What's not to love about that? I'm going on 30 years with the Company and only wish I had joined earlier. This is the 7th consecutive year we've made the FORTUNE Best Companies to Work For list and for good reason!!

Cons

Construction means occasional long days and potential relocation if work runs out in a particular area but PCL is extremely diversified both geographically and sectorially (commercial, civil and industrial) so there are usually lots of opportunities to stay with the Company for persons willing to go where the work is via short term assignments or transfers. Many employees spend their entire careers in one location.

Keep up the employee and family focus, employee ownership, strong safety culture and open communications!

One of the worst experiences in my career

Former Employee - In the Office
    Former Employee - In the Office

I worked at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

The structure is good and stock ownership is second to none. The majority of revenue comes from Canadian side while US side still shares the benefits. Nothing in particular stood out as far as pros. 3 weeks vacation pay, that's about it.

Cons

Pay was below average. And the management was absolutely horrific. Within my department we all shared jokes and stories about our manager and how s/he got promoted just because of the long tenure with the company. Knowing your job does not mean you know how to lead. The company promotes its family structure. But in reality it's just another big company where profits mean everything. I've seen a bunch of people come and go and nobody talks about it. It's like everyone is scared to bring it up and discuss what goes on. On the surface PCL wins awards but in reality there is something very rotten there. At least in the district where I have been.

Do not pretend that you are actually interested in people. My manager and the upper manager were completely fake. Makes me sick just by thinking about how much they were pretending to be friendly and nice. The truth always comes out at the end.

There are newer employer reviews for PCL Construction Enterprises.

Worked for PCL Construction Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!