PCL Construction Enterprises

www.pcl.com

Great Company

Former Employee - Summer Field Engineer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Summer Field Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

good work environment, fair compensation. Overall I had a good experience working for PCL, definitely would recommend to those interested in the construction industry

Cons

had to move around. My position required me to move for a period of time. Definitely would not a draw back for some, but I prefer to stay in one location.

Other reviews for PCL Construction Enterprises

Good opportunities to learn.. Some major projects ongoing in Toronto and Calgary Region

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

-Great management, knowledgeable and fun working environment..
    -Great Salary and benefit structure (medical, dental, etc.)
    - Gets to move a lot depending on location and type of project

Cons

- Late hours- might end up working 60 hrs/ week if project demands more work.
    - Hard to maintain work - life balance

Keep up the good work.

Fabulous company, incomparable benefits!

Pros

95+ percent of the salaried employees own the Company (no one can own more than 5% of the shares). This gives the Company a very paternalistic culture where everyone has a vested interest in the success of every other team member. Mentorship is ingrained and everyone is willing to help others. The benefits are incredible (3 weeks of vacation to start, 4x salary in life insurance, $150 deductible medical plan) and the employee share of the cost is a percentage of salary. That means that the higher compensated employees subsidize the cost for the lesser compensated employees and everybody is fine with it. They have a goal of 35 hours/employee/year for community service and make numerous activities available to help us meet that goal, many of which are on Company time. There is a similar 35 hour/year goal for continuing education through the PCL College of Construction. A wellness program includes free health screenings for employees and spouses, exercise reimbursement, etc. The big benefit is share ownership - every employee is offered an opportunity to purchase shares each year and the shares have averaged more than a 40% return each year since 1977! It's the best equity generating vehicle I have ever seen. Long term employees who have been purchasing shares regularly see divident checks well in excess of their annual salaries! What's not to love about that? I'm going on 30 years with the Company and only wish I had joined earlier. This is the 7th consecutive year we've made the FORTUNE Best Companies to Work For list and for good reason!!

Cons

Construction means occasional long days and potential relocation if work runs out in a particular area but PCL is extremely diversified both geographically and sectorially (commercial, civil and industrial) so there are usually lots of opportunities to stay with the Company for persons willing to go where the work is via short term assignments or transfers. Many employees spend their entire careers in one location.

Keep up the employee and family focus, employee ownership, strong safety culture and open communications!

There are newer employer reviews for PCL Construction Enterprises.

Worked for PCL Construction Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!