PCL

www.pcl.com

PCL could be so much more.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1. Excellent health care (best I have ever seen)!
2. Employee owned so the dividends are nice.
3. The business model PCL wants to follow is commendable.
4. Very diverse in scopes of work and people.

Cons1. Long hours are very common (10-14Hr days avg), think very hard if you are willing to sacrifice your family for a larger paycheck and dividend. Most of the upper ranks are either single or just constantly working and moving all around the country with their families or letting their staff support their 7 hour day. In the end I made about $6/Hr. and lost years of my life trying to be a loyal/honest/very hard working employee.

2. No loyalty to their employees, willing to let people go easily with little or no notice. Sometimes I saw this happen to new and old employees who had just invested thousands of dollars in the stocks only to lose money shortly thereafter when let go unexpectedly. Some were good employees fresh out of college.

3. Little to no training for ALL employees wanting to learn and grow. Opportunities were limited to a select few, politics and immaturity at senior levels are evident within some districts so be ready.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish I could have stayed with PCL for many years, I believe I could have been a very valuable contributor/leader. I appreciate the many positive things done for me in the past years and so thank you! But the modern PCL is not the company Ernie Poole started so many years ago and does not follow the guidelines that are supposedly leaned on to make decisions at both the upper management levels and at the individual levels within PCL. So I make the following recommendations:

Invest in your employees for a long future with PCL. Short sighted - bottom line mentality will hurt PCL eventually. Train them better, and when work gets slow use them in other divisions of PCL. Why waste the monetary investment and the time training them only to dump them shortly after?

Improve communication within the organization and allocate resources better to avoid laying people off, start valuing people and not just numbers.

Re-evaluate each district starting from the top down to see what is the health/culture of each one, not just money wise, but:
Leadership
Attitude
Performance
Outlook
at both the District and at the individual level, then work with it to improve these areas.

I have so much more to say but I have run out of time.

Growth opporutnities abound, fair compensation and great company culture!

I have been working at PCL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Culture of mentoring; health & wellness focus; challenging work assignments;… Cons: Long hours at times - however, when push comes to… Advice to Senior Management: The further up you move in the organization, the more removed you are from the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Solid Company to work for has all of the benefits of working for a large Co. and generally doesn't grind you to hard.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

I worked at PCL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great benefits, awesome ESOP program, good bonuses. Generally Ethical and do up hold their mission statement as Construction Professionals Good Culture and community Work… Cons: Base Salary below competition but after several years bonuses and ESOP make up for it Maybe? Can be political as any large Co. if you find… Advice to Senior Management: none Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on PCL.

Worked for PCL? Contribute to the Community!