There are newer employer reviews for PEAK6 Investments

It's a place to work but not excel

Former Employee - Junior Trader  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse investment in different business

Cons

Very conservative in risk taking

PEAK6 Investments Response

Aug 1, 2014President

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you acknowledging the diversity of our businesses. This has been a focus for us and we are growing here. Risk management is also something we focus on at ... More

64 Other Employee Reviews for PEAK6 Investments (View Most Recent)

its a place to learn a trade

Current Employee - Trader  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is inherent edge in trading options. While a lot of the space is becoming automated, and there is lots of competition with other firms, firms that have more resources, better technology, and more talented people. Nonetheless, by selling options you are effectively functioning like an insurance business, and are collecting risk premium. However, the issue at hand is what side of the trade you're on when it's not to your advantage to sell volatility. 9 years of making money and then one year you hand it all back.

Trading is a tough business to get into. It's a place to learn and get your feet wet. There is a handful of talent working for this company, talent you can learn from.

I think the owners, Matt and Jenny are very capable people, and despite their conservative approach, are savvy enough to maintain profitability. They understand the firm's limitations, the market environment, and have cleverly decided to diversify in the asset management business and have the risk management skills to prevent a blowup of the firm.

Cons

The company has a niche that it has occupied in the past, and despite the rhetoric it feeds its employees, it tends to be conservative and isn't willing to make a commitment to innovation. However, the edge in the space is drying up.

The environment is not only conservative in risk taking, but also quite political.

This can be seen by the fact that many of the people in positions of influence are acquainted(old friends, college roommates, fraternity brothers, sons/relatives) of the founders or partners.
     Some managers may have a tendency to pick favorites, and so be aware and be careful not to step into any booby traps. Some traders, especially the more driven ones, find the micromanagement to be hell.

They're looking more for someone how fits the bill and won't put the firm at risk, and so new ideas while funded can be cut quickly if they don't pan out. Also pay is well below other firms, even for top performers, as they provide a cut only after taking into account cost.

don't be afraid to innovate and spend money doing it
    pay your top employees better to keep talent
    if you take pride in meritocracy, you should make it so and get rid of the politics

Company Review

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

-fun, great leadership, good compensation

Cons

-often times stuck with nothing to do

PEAK6 Investments Response

Aug 1, 2014President

We're glad that you enjoy working with us at PEAK6 and appreciate your feedback. We're definitely focused on creating a culture where everyone feels challenged in their role and enjoys what they're ... More

There are newer employer reviews for PEAK6 Investments

Worked for PEAK6 Investments? Contribute to the Community!