Management styles focus on belittling employees

Former Employee - Financial Services Consultant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros? If you want a job, they'll probably hire you if you can be bonded. Yes they offer benefits. If you are looking for some income while you look for decent employment elsewhere; they'll hire anyone and everyone.

Cons

This is for CSRs; specifically people seeking employment in the call centers. If you want to work for PNC you'd better negotiate your salary well in the first interview, because you will never get a raise. When you first start working for the company you'll encounter a lot of smoke and mirrors when you try to follow up on the touted 'opportunities for advancement'.

PNC tends to employ embittered management throughout the call centers and the majority of the managers I encountered can be pretty petty. They tend to pass quick judgement about their groups without doing any research about their employee's skills. I actually had a manager promise me that if I was "good' for a week, she'd teach me how to open word on the computer. I don't know why she thought I couldn't open word, or what she thought my skills were, but it was pretty disheartening since this was the woman who was supposed to help place me in the company.

The overall management style focuses on belittling, and I have had managers make up stories about customer complaints against me (one common trick is to pull up a form letter in word) just for an excuse to degrade me during the weekly one on one meetings they are forced to have with the employees. If you call HR with a concern about your treatment, your future is grim, and your environment will worsen. I made the mistake of doing that and had bullying managers follow me around the company demanding meetings to tell me how awful I was.

I found myself completely deprived of all self esteem by the time I left the company. When I worked there, I was constantly stressed and worried I'd loose my low paying job because the managers I'd worked for convinced me I was a useless person. If you want to work for this company, I'd suggest not taking anything your managers say to heart, that's what they want you to do, so you stay in the call center, which is a pretty awful job without all of the petty management techniques.

Re-evaluate your management strategies. Fostering happy employees will get you a lot farther.

Other Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

Relationship Manager

Current Employee - Relationship Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company. Strong corp culture.

Cons

Job is 60 - 80% service.

Higher pay outs on incentive plan or lower sales goals. Job is 60 - 80% service. If all you were accountable for was sales it would be perfect job!

Friendly people to work with, greatly varies by banking section in which you work

Former Employee - Pathways Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Pathways Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amigable co workers, short learning curve, good compensation, internship program was very structured with many networking opportunities with management and fellow interns

Cons

Downplay of risk creates somewhat boring work environment, internship experience depends entirely on the department in which you are placed, this department may or may not be your preference

Allow interns to have a greater degree of choice to which department they can apply

There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!