Not a bad job, but there are better banks to work for

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a fair amount of work/life balance. My manager truly strived to give us time off for doctor's appointments, family needs, etc, but they weren't always able to. To be fair, this is branch-dependent.

PNC does seem to care a lot about employee involvement, cooperation, and dedication. They don't always back it up with action, but they do seem to care.

There are good benefits for part-time workers.

Your schedule may change weekly, but you know exactly how many hours you're working, which is important for pay stability.

Cons

Sometimes, the two "sides" (tellers and platform employees) don't get along, and can be blamed for each others' mistakes. Again, this is somewhat branch-dependent, but the very nature of the setup makes this kind of thing likely.

Part-timers only get 2.5 days of vacation time a year.

Their performance reviews are unrealistic. A score of 4.5 out of 5 is considered to be, in the words of my manager, "awful." And if you get a customer at a bad time or if they were really angry, your branch's average could be affected for months.

The pay is much less per hour than what other banks pay.

We're told to refer to online policies and procedures, but many of these are missing or in strange locations.

Not much upward or even sideways mobility. All of us at the branch had applied for other in-company jobs multiple times, and only one worker was ever able to transfer (to another section of the company entirely).

Fix the online policies and procedures, and offer better pay to your employees. It's worth it for what you ask of them.

Other Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

Not what I was hoping for...

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

401k match and pension after 6 months of employment
    possibility to earn bonuses each quarter; based on referrals to other business partners, individual sales performance and customer service scores.
    Easy to learn software systems and sales model
    Quick advancement

Cons

Pay is unimpressive; don't bother trying to negotiate with the recruiters. The starting base salary for this position is $10.30/hour, and as much as the recruiters tell you that the compensation schedule is "extremely competitive," what they fail to mention is that you have to practically double your goal to get a bonus worth talking about. If you don't hit a minimum threshold, you get no bonus at all. If you hit your goal, your minimum quarterly bonus will be $375...for 3 months of work (it increases in tiers after that point). Once in your position, you will be compensated with back-pats, "good jobs!" and recognition E-cards that carry no monetary value. The term "employee engagement" will get shoved down your throat, along with "Customer Index of Quality" survey scores which will greatly dictate your performance review. Branch management enjoys little to no supervision by district management and there is a total lack of accountability among branch employees to meet sales goals. Turnover is nonstop; all branches in my district are short on help. Hire people with absolutely no sales or banking backgrounds and no intent to continue their career in either field.

Pay people enough to actually care about their jobs. PNC recorded net PROFIT of over $3billion in 2013, yet every day retail branches are bombarded with requirements to "cut down on expenses, save hours, don't order too many supplies, etc." Full time tellers are started at $8.70/hour. Ridiculous. Employees are stakeholders, too, PNC! Pay some of that $3billion profit back to your employees!
    Hire people who actually have an interest in banking.
    Get your management hierarchy together; it's a mess! Different protocols and instructions from overlapping management.
    I won't bother discussing the uselessness of the call centers (both internal and external) because that just goes without saying.

OK job. Not for career

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Company believes in quality of life and good co workers.

Cons

Pay
    Management can sometimes micro manage

There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!