There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

First company I work for.

Current Employee - Teller  in  Champaign, IL
Current Employee - Teller in Champaign, IL

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working environment, good career opportunities and good management team!

Cons

I don't have any cons right now.

1105 Other Employee Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group (View Most Recent)

Promise the world, but under deliver

Current Employee - Financial Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The branch staff and business partners I work with are awesome people and I have made a number of great friends. Base pay is good, and even though I'm not a salaried position I get paid for 40 hours every week even if I'm a few hours short and whenever I exceed 40 I get overtime.

There is a lot of opportunity within the branch's book of business to move money over to the investment side of the company and we aren't limited on product set and can offer a wide number of competitors products.

The work hours aren't bad, typically 8:30/9-5:30/6 and as long as your branch is meeting it's goals and you have good customer review scores upper management will pretty much leave you alone.

There is a nice tiered bonus kicker for meeting and exceeding your branches investment revenue goal each quarter.

It's a very green company with a lot of focus on being energy efficient.

Strong emphasis on customer service and desire to build customer loyalty.

Cons

The internal technology is terrible. It's very, very dated, not user friendly, and on a number of occasions due to computer glitches and program errors (even when the information is entered correctly and according to PNC policy and procedure) will get you bad customer reviews and even in trouble with upper management.

You get every Sunday off, but expect to work multiple Saturdays a month, especially when trying to close Investment business you have to be willing to work around people's schedules.

My position doesn't really make sense to have and honestly isn't needed within the branch. I have access to view our investment business and I am supposed to be driving more $ to the investment side, but can't provide any account maintenance, recommend any specific products or really speak outside of completely gray areas. It's something that could be handled by any of the bankers or the private client group. There is total reliance on other people to close business.

I was told I'd spend 75% of my time working on and closing investments and the other 25% would be on quality banking time (lending and opening accounts). The reality is the majority of my time is spent as a personal banker. There is way to much time spent ordering new checks or resetting pin numbers or simply standing at the front doing "lobby management" where you basically act as a Walmart greeter in a suit. It's not productive, but is required by upper management. It would be much more efficient if I was proactively seeking business either through calling or business visits.

My position can't open any type of investment account, I have to either go through a call center with the customer,(It's awkward and a gamble if the random rep you called is going to know what they are doing, or if they are going to recommend the right product to the client) or a regional Financial Advisor who's position is poorly compensated throughout the corporation and as a result the turnover has been insanely high (higher than is normal within the industry, despite referring $2 million in new money to the position last quarter I'm on my 3rd rep as the last 2 quit).

The yearly goal setting for the branch is ridiculous. My branch met it's investment goal for 2013 and it was a pretty high goal, but we closed more investment business then the branch ever has. For meeting our goal management decided to more than double it for 2014. It is unrealistically high and I personally feel it was done more to ensure that I can't receive my bonus multiplier more so than be a fair measure for what the branches activities should be or realistic growth within the branch.

If an investment prospect I uncover, do the work for and close, is labeled in our private client group (regardless of if they never agreed to it, never spoke to private client rep, or even don't want to be in it), I can't and won't get paid on it as there is no way to remove the code in our computer system, no exception process to allow me to get paid and the PCG role and financial specialist role have a lot of overlap and essentially directly compete with each other. Sooner or later management will realize they don't need both roles.

Over reliance by management on customer survey results, customer service is important, but the questions can be confusing. If we get one bad score from an upset customer due to our computer system's inability to efficiently service our clients, but a dozen other perfect scores it shouldn't result in a conference call every Monday morning at 7 for the rest of the quarter.

The new CEO has admitted he is a "numbers guy." It's become apparent as PNC is trying to cut costs at every corner. I can agree fiscal responsibility is important to an extent, but it is starting to interfere with our ability to provide an exceptional customer experience. We can't replace a teller if they quit anymore, don't do any free checking products any longer, and we can't retain talent because we won't pay for experience and the raise structure is very flawed.

Upgrade our internal computer systems, it's about 10 years overdue. They are terrible and every time we add new products it weighs the system down, creates more glitches and hurts our ability to provide quality customer service. It's like throwing more and more muscle on a very scrawny skeleton, sooner or later it's going to fall apart.

Also get ride of the competitive nature between the PCG and FS roles, we should be working together not against one another.

Mislead about job and salary

Current Employee - Quality Control Accountant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

They had programs for their lower paid employees to help save for retirement.

Cons

Treated so horribly that I quit and got unemployment. PNC tried to sue me but the judge threw the case out after he saw my evidence. It was a toxic work environment. Some days when then network would go down and we could no do our work we got lectured and threatened with not being paid since we were not working. They threatened to fire me if I went out on FMLA and my work was not done. Just horrible.

Listen to employees.

There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!