PPG

www.ppg.com
  www.ppg.com
There are newer employer reviews for PPG

Poor management from above

I have been working at PPG full-time

Pros

Most weekends off.
Laid back work environment.

Cons

Company is full of incompetent employees who are not watched carefully by upper management.
If you are ready, willing and able. You will end up doing 4 other peoples work.

Show your faces. Do something besides send emails.

231 Other Employee Reviews for PPG (View Most Recent)

Typical Big Company - Good Ole Boy Network

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PPG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent opportunities for new positions and career changes so long as you don't mind situations where they have already selected a candidate rather than interviewing for one.

Their shareholders love them! Buy PPG stock as it has been profitable and paid uninterrupted dividends for 130 years. I guess when they pinch the pennies out of their employees it affords them the ability to be profitable.

Cons

PPG suffers from many of the same tragedies as many of the big global corporations. Poor middle management who ride the success of their employees, a lot of overpaid dinosaurs who are protected by the good ole boy network, and senior management who get high returns on short term decisions with long term negative consequences. Salaries and bonuses are a joke to anyone who is not management. My best bonus in 5 years of working as a senior analyst for Corporate IT was 3% despite stellar reviews in my annual P&LP. The average was 1.5 %. I guess they figure that we get enough perks with our partner discounts ($5 off a gallon of Manor Hall paint and Aquapel windshield repellant at Christmas)! Raises are crap - typically less than cost of living increase. People work to the bone for nothing. A friend of mine lost his daughter to cancer and they pressured him to come back to work or else losing his job.

Reward the people who make your company the success that it is. When promoting people to management positions, they should have to have a 5 year plan and deliver on it before getting rewarded. Too many decisions happen affecting short term goals (year end cuts to hit goals) with long term repercussions.

Caring people and good work relationships

Current Employee - Production Manager in Shelby, NC
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Shelby, NC

I have been working at PPG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Caring people who are involved in their community. Strong financials. Cautious in their investments.

Cons

Measured advancement opportunities. PPG is old-school, don't expect to be CEO in five years. Benefits are withering over time. Current management slave to stock price. Cautious investment strategy can mean PPG is second (or third) to market in its smaller business units.

There are newer employer reviews for PPG