PPG, the easiest job you'll ever ... eh, it's a job.

Current Employee - Chemist
Current Employee - Chemist

I have been working at PPG

Pros

Very easy job, good safety record, clean factories. Has its ups and downs with the economy but if you are a solid worker you stick around. International exposure.

Cons

Complete lack of career advancement opportunity for all but a very few chosen ones. Lack of challenge / boredom. Increasing use of outsourcing and contract workers, or directing work volume to foreign countries with their own local staff in place. It's a good place if you just want a job but a frustrating place if you want a career, so you have to manage your expectations.

Get out of cyclic industries; modernize your plants and manufacturing technology instead of just buying up other companies.

Other Reviews for PPG

Backward Culture, Stuck in the 1950s

I have been working at PPG

Pros

Good bonus opportunities if you are in the right business; decent benefits; relatively stable financial position;

Cons

Culture is straight from the 1950s; stock performance over the last ten years has been horrible and has consistently lagged its peer group; no accountability for Executives; extremely political environment; no personnel and development process; very slow moving company; hours are long and recognition is non-existent.

If you truly want profitable growth, you should be willing to take on risk. Taking on risk means understanding that every at bat doesn't result in a base hit and if not, you look for someone to blame.

Contract workers are rugs for PPG to walk on.

Former Employee - Technical Service Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Service Representative

I worked at PPG

Pros

They provide great opportunity and room for advancement if you are a permanent employee.

Cons

They do not take care of their contract employees. They do not offer any benefits package or retirement. When it came time for my yearly raise, I received less than what was stated in my performance review. Upper management ignored my inquiry into the matter.

Stop treating contract workers as disposable labor. Offer a better package and room for growth.

There are newer employer reviews for PPG.

Worked for PPG? Contribute to the Community!