PPG

www.ppg.com
  www.ppg.com
There are newer employer reviews for PPG

Very stable company

I have been working at PPG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company supports their employees. The company has been around sice the 1800's which means they have gone through the depression and the economic downturn we just had.

Cons

A very conservative company, one will have to be willing to relocate in order to advance one's career.

231 Other Employee Reviews for PPG (View Most Recent)

A stable company providing stable employment where you wait for people to retire or die before you move up.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst I in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PPG full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable Company, 401K, Flexible Hours. HR, Benefits, Expense systems are all on-line. People rarely leave which provides consistency.

Cons

There is a very old-school mentality where breaking from the status quo is not accepted.
    If you want paid market rate, you need to be hired from outside, otherwise raises are rare and not much. The annual dividend is marketed as stability, but is really an excuse to reward large stockholders when it could be used to reward employees. There is too much group think and going outside the box doesn't bode well. It is impossible to get fired unless you are caught in the act of something against the rules, but even that is debatable. Performance ratings are based on a bell curve and not actual performance.

Retain existing talent, pay for performance, remove dead weight. Stop making people do more and more with less. Give raises greater than COLA.

Global responsibility for the daily business operations of the Electronic Materials Group

I have been working at PPG

Pros

Excellent global reach and huge exposure to high profile oportunities

Cons

Poorly managed resource allocation, and very slow integration of acquisition resources.

There are newer employer reviews for PPG